Capping sanatized bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All
Bottling my first brew today on my day off but the problem I have is my next brew is due to be bottled next week when I am back at work. Is it safe to sanatized bottles then cap them to save time for my 2nd brew. This way when I finish work I only have to uncap and fill. If so how long can I leave them capped?
Cheers
Hi Libigage.
I do exactly that. I drink the beer, chuck the dregs down the sink and save the caps. Next morning, the bottles get washed out, a squirt of sodium metabisulphite and the old cap goes back on. Never had a bad bottle in some decades of brewing, but I have had a couple of fizzy ones. Lagers, in my experience can through a very hard deposit which needs to be removed so my lager bottles tend to get a squirt of dilute bleach before rinsing it out the next morning and proceeding as above. It's not that the lager yeast is contributing to the bottle fermentation (it's dead) rather it provides a rough surface for the bubbles to form on,

Back