Carbing in a Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the one. Thanks for sharing. I have now saved it to bookmarks. I've been winging it a bit but as an Engineer I like to be a bit more exact.
I’m normally more precise, but lately I’ve been trying to simplify things a bit. I have just put a Belgian Blonde on and the recipe specifies a ‘brisk’ 3.0 vol CO2. Being impatient I’ve cranked it up to 25psi (serving fridge about 7C) until I think it’s about right. Less science involved this time, did have to add 3.5m of 3/16” line to be able to serve it though! :laugh8:

Usually you would try and make sure your beer was as clear as possible before kegging it. Or carb it, chill to 0C for a couple of days and dispense the first few cloudy pints do do with those as you see fit.

IMO, crystal clear beer isn’t necessary for every style.

IMO I would like a beer to be clear if serving to friends or latchers on but for my own consumption as I generally brew hoppy beers I don't mind cloudy.

IMO I would like a beer to be clear if serving to friends or latchers on but for my own consumption as I generally brew hoppy beers I don't mind cloudy.
It's a generational thing too. My dad would be very suspicious of a cloudy pint. But a large number of my friends would expect that I'd be producing a super hoppy cloudy pint. I guess it's what they're used to in the pub.

Have you thought about pressure fermentation? I have a fermentasaurus and ferment at 1 bar / 15psi and then drop the temperature for a couple of days in my brew fridge for the yeast to drop. Transfer directly to corny and into kegerator. Can get a kit on tap in 7 days which is clear and carbonated.

Have you thought about pressure fermentation? I have a fermentasaurus and ferment at 1 bar / 15psi and then drop the temperature for a couple of days in my brew fridge for the yeast to drop. Transfer directly to corny and into kegerator. Can get a kit on tap in 7 days which is clear and carbonated.
I have considered it and will probably give it a whirl but its more outlay and we are hoping to move if our house sells so I have put the brew fridge build on hold, but from your experience think its the way forward, always great to hear from people who are doing it, can I ask where you bought your fermenasaurus from so I can have a look at it?
Cheers
Geoff

I like the idea of pressure fermenting, that sounds good. My FV is a SS Brew Tech Chronical. It’s great, but isn’t rated for more than a couple of PSI. I also don’t like to cold crash in my FV as the change in temperature causes sanitiser to get sucked back up the blow off tube (I don’t have enough headspace in my chamber for an airlock).

I have a modified corney I use as a bright beer tank, I’m considering one day transferring the beer in there when fermentation slows down and using a spunding valve. I hear beer carbonated by its own fermentation can have smaller bubbles and smoother carbonation.

Still not an ideal solution, but I don’t think now is the time to be buying a unitank!

I like the idea of pressure fermenting, that sounds good. My FV is a SS Brew Tech Chronical. It’s great, but isn’t rated for more than a couple of PSI. I also don’t like to cold crash in my FV as the change in temperature causes sanitiser to get sucked back up the blow off tube (I don’t have enough headspace in my chamber for an airlock).

I have a modified corney I use as a bright beer tank, I’m considering one day transferring the beer in there when fermentation slows down and using a spunding valve. I hear beer carbonated by its own fermentation can have smaller bubbles and smoother carbonation.

Still not an ideal solution, but I don’t think now is the time to be buying a unitank!
My friend connects up a catheter bag between the blow off valve and his overflow pipe so when he cold crashes it just sucks back the co2 from the fermetation. You could give that a go?

@Petrolhead has just started a discussion along these lines - might be worth keeping an eye on?

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/using-a-corny-as-a-‘conical’.87882/post-916992
Interesting what you say about "carbonated by its own fermentation " as that's what I'm finding. Where are you hearing it from?
Sounds good. I heard it during a bottled beer tasting at a craft beer off licence a few years ago. They were bigging up the virtues of bottle conditioned beers actually!

My friend connects up a catheter bag between the blow off valve and his overflow pipe so when he cold crashes it just sucks back the co2 from the fermetation. You could give that a go?
Yes I’ve seen one of our regulars using Mylar Noddy balloons (which always makes me smile)! Just need to acquire something appropriate!

Latest posts

Back