Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euan1984

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have a good method of carbonating lager and pilsner when using corney kegs as apposed to bottling , I have tried the force carbonation method where I put my gas to 30 psi and rock for 30 min or so , I don't like this method , I am currently trying to set my gas to 30psi and keep it in the fridge and I will test it after 24 hours to see what it is like , my main question or query is do any of you guys syphon to the serving keg and add priming sugar to the corney and leave it to carbonate this way then just serving pressure needed .I appreciate everyone does it different ways I'm just looking for a good tries and tested way thanks Euan.

Currently I'm priming my kegs using the calculator below. Getting pretty good results from it although slightly under carbonated. Perhaps I over fill my corny or perhaps I'm just being too cautious of over carbing. Anyway my current conditioning keg is aiming for closer to what the calculator reckons will be 2.7 volumes. I put 105g sugar in and will have the beer chilled to about 8c.

Although I think previous attempts have been slightly under carbonated I think the results are a little more controllable and it's always possible to add a bit of co2 if necessary.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Hey thanks for the info, I feel like an idiot at times but if I don't ask I won't learn, sometimes I research so much my head is spinning and no further forward so real world tried and tested info is appreciated. I think I will try this method next and see how it goes , I want to get it right as I have 6 separate batches of lager , pilsner and IPA on the go . thanks mike.

Note also that the serving temperature makes a big difference to the amount of priming sugar required for a desired volumes co2. You'll have to dial everything in depending on the temp you plan to serve at.

Hi does anyone have a good method of carbonating lager and pilsner when using corney kegs as apposed to bottling , I have tried the force carbonation method where I put my gas to 30 psi and rock for 30 min or so , I don't like this method , I am currently trying to set my gas to 30psi and keep it in the fridge and I will test it after 24 hours to see what it is like , my main question or query is do any of you guys syphon to the serving keg and add priming sugar to the corney and leave it to carbonate this way then just serving pressure needed .I appreciate everyone does it different ways I'm just looking for a good tries and tested way thanks Euan.

Why didn't you like the force carbonate ?

Was the beer cold ? I force carbonate at 3c :-

Pressure upto about 35, turn off the supply and rock until it is down to about 15. Then repeat.

If the beer isn't cold it won't take the co2 as easily.

Why didn't you like the force carbonate ?

Was the beer cold ? I force carbonate at 3c :-

Pressure upto about 35, turn off the supply and rock until it is down to about 15. Then repeat.

If the beer isn't cold it won't take the co2 as easily.

If I'm honest I did not disconnect then shake as the video I followed left it connected , I did this at a low temp as had the beer in a freezer before hand and in between , I felt as though it still had poor carbonation, do you feel this is the best way and have you tried others thanks ,Euan.

If I'm honest I did not disconnect then shake as the video I followed left it connected , I did this at a low temp as had the beer in a freezer before hand and in between , I felt as though it still had poor carbonation, do you feel this is the best way and have you tried others thanks ,Euan.

I've tried 35 in the fridge over the weekend and leaving the valve open at 35 and shaking for 1/2 hour. 1st method was too slow, second emptied my cylinder and gave me foam.

For lager I might repeat twice.

I'd be happy if it took all weekend in the fridge but was a good end product , I to ended up with foam when force carbing

A couple of things have helped me reduce foaming.

Before serving release all pressure in the keg then top back up to serving pressure.

Longer beer lines. I initially had a plastic serving tap that had several inches of beer line between the connection and tap. I replaced the several inch line with a much longer length that I bought from the brew shop and then trimmed it down until I got a good balanced pour rate. Too long and it will pour too slow and too short will froth. Diameter of the line will also make a difference as well.

Do you really need to get to your beer that quick? It needs to age a bit anyway. Why not just leave it sitting some days with the 30 psi? That's exactly what I do (well, anywhere from 30-40 depending on ambient temp). An easy no fuss approach, but yes, you have to wait a little.

I have been filtering it using a 10" cone filter then carbing it while it's in fridge , I don't mind leaving it a while till it's right as I usually have about 6 different ones on the go at one time so that lets me leave them longer .

Latest posts

Back