CBC/Meantime/The Malt Miller British IPA Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing today and the Olicana hops I've been sent smell like Onions/Garlic. Luckily I have an excess of Harlequin and Jester so i've managed to substitute on the fly.
Has anyone else had this problem?
They arrived and they didn't feel clumped together like the other hops I ordered with them. They went straight in the freezer when they arrived and have only been in there for a week or so.

I added this to a free delivery order from the MM, £6 for a tankard a beer, hops and comp entry is a good deal. I'm not really a fan of the hop flavour as they are presented in the !Now IPA, but brewing is about fun and experimentation so I will try brewing the Olicana to my taste alongside EKG and Fuggles.

I have a Stout on tap and tried a 20/80 blend of the IPA/Stout, wow, yes I agree that Olicana should be tried in a dark beer so that will go on my long list of brews to do.

Beer in the Fermenter
IMG_20221023_161528.jpg

The meantime/craft beer channel beer was tasty
IMG_20221021_191521.jpg
IMG_20221021_191538.jpg

I made a few hop teas with British hops over the weekend to see what combinations worked well, I simply don’t get all the aromas talked about on CBC video and I was a bit underwhelmed with the Olicana.

I appreciate everyone has their own taste but I'm a little surprised that some were not that impressed with the beer..
Thought it was a English meets WC IPA. Malt profile and bitterness reminded me of modern West Coast IPA and the hops had a spicy English Berry with a hint of citrus. Thought it was really nice.
Think the modern English & German varieties.dont have the same punch as American and New world hops but they are alot more expressive than the traditional hops and more appropriate for modern styles. I have used olicana on its own in a pale a few years ago and I thought it was nice but I think I would brew that beer differently now. I'm looking forward to tasting my version, but of a change from Mosaic and Citra😋

Thought it was a English meets WC IPA. Malt profile and bitterness reminded me of modern West Coast IPA and the hops had a spicy English Berry with a hint of citrus. Thought it was really nice.
This was pretty much my take on it too so was equally surprised to see some more damning comments. I guess it just proves taste is entirely subjective!

Just cracked my can of it. Not for my liking at first. Very astringent, and not very forgiving, but as I left it and then came back it definitely grew on me. I would suspect on cask this would be fantastic. Needs a bit of time to come to life. But still not getting a lot of that juiciness that was talked of on the YouTube's.

Out of stock on the MM site now so no chance. Pity, because I have an own-recipe IPA using Chevallier that I would tweak for this purpose.

Just kegged mine. Ended up at 1.013 - 5.6%

Bit more cloudy than I would of liked. Slightly worried as I’ve chucked some hops in the keg because when I had a sample a week ago the hops hadn’t come through, but due to being away it’s had an extra week in the fermentor and they’ve come through. All in all I’m happy with it so far. Hopefully 2 weeks will be just enough.

D0085DA4-2346-426C-92E7-2D21D53FD68F.jpeg

Hard to tell from here but I like the colour.

Just kegged mine. Ended up at 1.013 - 5.6%

Bit more cloudy than I would of liked. Slightly worried as I’ve chucked some hops in the keg because when I had a sample a week ago the hops hadn’t come through, but due to being away it’s had an extra week in the fermentor and they’ve come through. All in all I’m happy with it so far. Hopefully 2 weeks will be just enough.

View attachment 77548
Hard to tell from here but I like the colour.
What yeast did you use?

I used London Ale III and there is still a slight haze despite it having been in the keg since Sunday and having been cold crashed for a few days before that.

Back