Cerveza newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philguk

Reaction score
Hi folks

New to this brewing lark and trying to step it up a notch from cider kits

i did ask some advice and amalgamated the useful suggestions and probably way over complicated things - but.....

Started 4x 5litre batches of Mexican-style beer

Each has 1/4 of a Wilko Cerveza kit. Two have 300g of sugar, two have 250g of spray malt. All are now inoculated with Kolsch-style yeast (I dont have that warm a location for fermentation)

Later I intend to dry-hop one of the sugar and one of the malt batches

Then I’ll have four different variations to bottle...........

Anything in this plan I should be wary of??

Cheers

Phil G

Seems it’s warm enough. This morning found all four had frothed through their air locks. Some cleaning up to do now 😡😡.

is there a smart trick to prevent that?

Oh and fermenting around 17c

Seems it’s warm enough. This morning found all four had frothed through their air locks. Some cleaning up to do now 😡😡.

is there a smart trick to prevent that?

And wondering if there is a better type of airlock. The typical “bubbler” seems a nightmare to clean once its grungy ☹️☹️

And wondering if there is a better type of airlock. The typical “bubbler” seems a nightmare to clean once its grungy ☹☹

Yes! What you need is a blow off tube (plenty of other threads in here about them). Basically it’s a length of tube (say, siphoning tube) with one end in the fermenter (you could cut the end off a plastic bubbler or improvise something else to connect it to the fermenter) and the other end in a bucket/container of steriliser. That way any blow off ends up in the bucket rather than on the floor.

Yes! What you need is a blow off tube (plenty of other threads in here about them). Basically it’s a length of tube (say, siphoning tube) with one end in the fermenter (you could cut the end off a plastic bubbler or improvise something else to connect it to the fermenter) and the other end in a bucket/container of steriliser. That way any blow off ends up in the bucket rather than on the floor.
Ah - neat!!

I said I was a newbie :)

More "brewing stuff" duly ordered

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back