champagne

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,
I was thinking of making a batch of champagne as it is something i havee not yet tried. Whilst looking around i notice most home brew shops sell the stoppers and cages but not champagne bottles. Does anyone know where i could find these or an alternative?

Also how well would it carbonate using a sugar primer,or could i force carbonate it using my cornelius keg?

Any reccomendations, advice or recipes would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance

I'd try asking around in pubs. Going down on a Friday afternoon, asking if they can keep any they use until Sunday and pop back when they open on Sunday to pick them up.

Not sure how well this would work with other places, but my Dad's ex-wife (who he's still friends with) owns a pub, so we don't have much trouble!

Not sure if they would work, but how about the big Leffe bottles?

Plus, when Asda are doing the big bottles @ £2 a go at the moment. :thumb:

If you're going to do it the proper way with a secondary bottle fermentation then you need the proper bottles. You've also got the hassle of storing it upside down, trying to freeze the sediment in the neck, opening it upside down to blow out the plug of sediment without losing too much wine and then re-sealing.

Force carbonating in a Cornelius keg works just fine, in fact I keep a fizzy Wurzel's on tap. :thumb:

I serve directly from the keg, unless I'm giving the occasional bottle away.

Latest posts

Back