Changes to the highway code.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the years I came off more that one motorcycle in my youth mostly down to me not riding due the conditions. ( Black Ice ) and at 12 years of age admitted with head injuries after a bicycle accident
I completely understand the reasons behind the changes but it seems strange there has been little in the way of publicity regarding these changes its almost like an afterthought

That's what I got from learning to ride a motorcycle. Now I drive a car like I'm driving my motorcycle. It's not fear but added knowledge.

I definitely agree with this; it's like what was discussed earlier about truck's suffering from poor visibility. There needs to be better appreciation of each road users' perspective so that we can all get around safely.

I'd argue it is a minority rather than 'a lot' in the same way it is a minority of motorists that don't adhere to the rules.

Regardless of whether it is said as 'a lot' or 'all' my points about such comments being used as justification for people's bias towards cyclists still stand. They are the same old arguments that you see time and time again.

There are 'bad' cyclists just as much as there are 'bad' motorists, but only one has the potential to cause a fatal injury to the other. That is why the highway code is being updated in an attempt to offer more protection to vulnerable road users.
I disagree as I didn't get any bias toward or justification to treat cyclists poorly. In general, I just saw someone maybe blowing off steam, relating their personal experience.
The way people treat other people is a systemic problem, not anything to do with a Car versus Bike thing.
I have to say, if any person doesn't already know that you have to be even more aware around pedestrians, bike riders etc., and that they have the right of way (whatever that new rule above says) there are bigger problems.

An important point is the potential danger to a bike rider (which should be painfully obvious to all people on the road) and I can see someone getting upset over being mistreated or perceiving they were. On a motorcycle, there are no second chances so I see where you're coming from.

I disagree as I didn't get any bias toward or justification to treat cyclists poorly. In general, I just saw someone maybe blowing off steam, relating their personal experience.

That's fair enough. Those sort of words are a bit like a red rag to a bull for most cyclists so I'm probably just seeing it through a different lens.

There needs to be better appreciation of each road users' perspective so that we can all get around safely.

I agree and as an X motorcycle rider i still watch the spokes on allow wheels of cars as i get close to a junction just in case the person driving is so preoccupied with all the stuff going on in their lives that they haven't seen me.

Our top level of insurance is Comprehensive (AKA fully comprehensive) this offers the highest level of protection, It includes all the cover you'd get with a third-party fire and theft policy, but also protects you for damage you cause to your own car.
Not strictly true but fair enough. Can be written off even if damage is caused by someone else's actions

Back in the day, the mopeds were basically faster bikes, but didn't achieve normal road speeds so you could keep them in the bicycle category. Moped riders wouldn't be on the street any more often than a bicycle and behaved like bicycle riders behaved.
Now the mopeds/scooters have some giddyap and are fast enough to travel on surface roads at the same speed as cars. In Michigan, you don't need any training to have one.
Here's the irony: the most dangerous place to ride one is on surface streets and where you actually need the most training to operate one safely.
I guess it's just red-tape and bureaucracy but it's a very clear problem.

Road users = registration and road tax?

Ah! Another one of the classic anti-cyclist tropes!

Road tax was abolished in the 1930s. What you are referring to is Vehicle Excise Duty which is a levy charged based on the emissions of your vehicle, as a bicycle emits no emissions there is zero tax just like with an electric vehicle.

I am fed up of motorised scooters and cyclists pushing through pedestrians on the pavement, seems to be everywhere.
I agree with this one, but the problem is that cycle paths are full of people walking. Even worse people walk dog's with extendable leads

Road users = registration and road tax?

I am fed up of motorised scooters and cyclists pushing through pedestrians on the pavement, seems to be everywhere.

So you don't want them on the road because they don't pay 'road tax' and you also don't want them on the pavement?

For what it's worth, I agree they shouldn't be on the pavement and that is also what it says in highway code.

Chippy Tea said
Our top level of insurance is Comprehensive (AKA fully comprehensive) this offers the highest level of protection, It includes all the cover you'd get with a third-party fire and theft policy, but also protects you for damage you cause to your own car.

Justin Dean said
Not strictly true but fair enough. Can be written off even if damage is caused by someone else's actions

What is comprehensive car insurance?

In a nutshell, comprehensive car insurance cover – sometimes known as fully comprehensive cover, pays out if you damage your car, someone else's car or injure someone in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

Comprehensive car insurance also covers you against fire and theft. It's different to third party insurance, which only covers the damage you do to other vehicles and people.

Third party, fire and theft insurance covers you for damage to other vehicles and people, plus it covers your own vehicle if it gets damaged in a fire or gets stolen. But it won't cover the damage you do to yourself or your own vehicle.

So, many drivers take out comprehensive cover to make sure they and their vehicle are fully insured.

https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/comprehensive-car-insurance

Last edited:
Bikes cause zero damage to roads and I wouldn't expect there to be a fee here, unless it was for the upkeep of designated bike routes.
Our trucks, before they started distributing weight more evenly with more wheels, ruined the freeways. Detroit has some of the oldest, if not oldest, freeways in the country, and while there are ongoing repairs, we're still playing catchup. The temperature range in the NE doesn't help either.

Ah! Another one of the classic anti-cyclist tropes!

Road tax was abolished in the 1930s. What you are referring to is Vehicle Excise Duty which is a levy charged based on the emissions of your vehicle, as a bicycle emits no emissions there is zero tax just like with an electric vehicle.
I never said cyclists. Steady on

What is comprehensive car insurance?

In a nutshell, comprehensive car insurance cover – sometimes known as fully comprehensive cover, pays out if you damage your car, someone else's car or injure someone in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

Comprehensive car insurance also covers you against fire and theft. It's different to third party insurance, which only covers the damage you do to other vehicles and people.

Third party, fire and theft insurance covers you for damage to other vehicles and people, plus it covers your own vehicle if it gets damaged in a fire or gets stolen. But it won't cover the damage you do to yourself or your own vehicle.

So, many drivers take out comprehensive cover to make sure they and their vehicle are fully insured.

https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/comprehensive-car-insurance
Mate I work in insurance. Your car can be written off and not repaired if the cost of repair is greater than the value of the vehicle at the time of loss/damage....

Mate I work in insurance. Your car can be written off and not repaired if the cost of repair is greater than the value of the vehicle at the time of loss/damage....

My original post was -

Chippy Tea said

As it says you are protected for damage you cause to your own car (unlike TPF&T) even if the car is written off you still get paid out so you are protected.

Controversial or flippant to up decide... but... Apart from motorways and dual carriageways and modern bypasses.... Our roads were just not designed with cars and hgvs in mind. Maybe bikes scooters and motorbikes are better adapted to a road infrastructure designed in many cases hundreds if not thousands of years ago

Back