Cheap catering urn - do I want it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed a local charity shop had a 30L urn in the window for £25 (I think it's this one, £85 new)

Question is, do I snap it up?

I do ~11L batches (BIAB) and normally heat my water in 2 x 1.7L electric kettles and then boil on the kitchen hob.

Wondering whether it offers much advantage either as a hot liquor tank, or even BIAB mashing/boiling.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt

untitled-1204507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd snap it up for a hot liquor tank rather than a boiler. These things tend to get to about 98C and keep the liquid at that temperature rather than allow a good rolling boil, although they can often be modified.

Id definately buy it. You can use it as a HLT which is always useful plus you can make bigger batches should you wish to do so (I make 10L batches but occasionally make a full 23L batch. I use a spare FV to mash in - the urn would be great to do the boil in if you cant have multiple pots on the stove going at the same time like I do).
You could also do some sous vide cooking in it :laugh8:

Plus one for HLT. I do my brewing down the garden and its nice to have a source of warm water for making up star san etc even after sparging duties are complete. Mine cost me the best part of a oner new.

Id definately buy it. You can use it as a HLT which is always useful plus you can make bigger batches should you wish to do so (I make 10L batches but occasionally make a full 23L batch. I use a spare FV to mash in - the urn would be great to do the boil in if you cant have multiple pots on the stove going at the same time like I do).
You could also do some sous vide cooking in it :laugh8:
Ooh I like your thinking there @MyQul - looks like mrs76 is going to be thrilled with our new sous vide machine! :laugh8:

Thanks for the tips everyone athumb..

rps20190903_152514.jpg

Thats the trick of sneaking ever more brewing kit into the house, isnt it? Brewing kit is NEVER for brewing. It's ALWAYS to make SWMBO's life easier :laugh8:
Indeed. Hence my acquisition of a 90 litre SS stock pot with ball valve tap so she can make the entire year's supply of pot au feu at a single stroke.
My thoughtfulness leaves me breathless at times!

Now if I'd thought to make it an early Xmas present, I'd be quids in, too.
Drat!

Mrs Clint doesn't know it yet but a Robobrew helps so much with house keeping and stuff...

That did make me chuckle out loud. You should see all the extra refrigeration/ freezing apparatus that I have installed for the food at Christmas.

Back