Igenix 30L Stainless Steel Catering Urn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading through this thread thinking he should get a Klarstein Fullhorn so I'm glad to see on scrolling down further that you did.

I've had one a little while and I think it's a great unit. When I first got it out of the box, I thought the build quality was a bit lacking, but I think I was expecting too much and on using it I've come to realise that it does all you need it to.

You've probably worked this out already, but you can do full BIAB brews very successfully with this unit. You need the custom grain bag that Klarstein sells (which is about £20 IIRC) but it's well worth it.

I mash in the bag and then run off the wort into a bucket and batch sparge the grains in the bag in situ. I repeat the process two or three times until I have my desired boil volume. I then remove the bag full of grist and tip the wort back into the Fullhorn for the boil. By doing this you get pretty good efficiency and I've hit my numbers on every brew, bar a high gravity old ale.

Two things to watch based on my experience:

- The inbuilt digital thermometer isn't always accurate so I would always check with a digital probe if you have one. I tend to find the temp at the top during a mash is less than at the bottom and the temp sensor in the Fullhorn is located at the bottom of the vessel. Doing a quick vorlauf with a jug usually evens things up.

- When boiling it's really important to switch off the 900w element just as it's approaching the hot break. If you leave both elements on you will almost certainly get a boil over if the unit is reasonably full.
Cheers Black! Sound advice it would seem.

Can't wait to get started and am severely tempted to throw a 'sickie' tomorrow but I guess patience is virtue and it will only be one day closer to drinking my wares if I did.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "vorlauf"? (noun/verb??) I am a relative amateur compared to some of you guys and gals on here and have never come across this term before.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "vorlauf"? (noun/verb??) I am a relative amateur compared to some of you guys and gals on here and have never come across this term before.

I didn't know until fairly recently. In basic terms, it is a crude form of recirculation (the Fullhorn doesn't do recirculation unless you also invest in some tubing and a pump).

What I do is run off some wort (usually a couple of litres) into a large jug through the ball lock tap at the bottom then gently pour it back into the top of the vessel. I might do that two or three times for each vorlauf and I will do maybe three vorlaufs throughout the mash. I also do one vorlauf for each batch sparge. My thinking is that it is likely to give a modest improvement on the efficiency and also keeps the mash temperature more even. Whether it does or not, I don't know!

Ah right, yes that makes complete sense in terms of keeping the mash at an even temp throughout.

I have come back to home brewing after approx 20 years and so much seems to have changed with regards to the equipment available now compared to my largely 'Heath Robinson' efforts of yesteryear. Very much from the Dave Line school. Not quite sure what he would have made of it all!

Back