cheese beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevikeing

Reaction score
So I have a frend who sadly has become lactose intolerant so can eat cheese. However they found a beer in our local with a cheese flavor to it and are now hooked
So I want to experiment.... Any ideas how I can make a good beer that fast like cheese ???

So I have a frend who sadly has become lactose intolerant so can eat cheese. However they found a beer in our local with a cheese flavor to it and are now hooked
So I want to experiment.... Any ideas how I can make a good beer that fast like cheese ???

I am going to assume that you meant to write "so can't eat cheese"!

I checked out the vile Cheese and Onion Crisps that our visitor likes and discovered that the flavouring is down to Dried Cheese (aka Milk) which indicates that there may not be a magic "E" number for cheese flavouring!

However, I did track down this product ...

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/good-carma-original.html?gclid=CK6ioaTmyc4CFQeVGwodot8NEg

It might be worth a punt to "cold cheese" a beer in a DJ after fermentation is completed. I would start with 10g of the product and leave it in the DJ for a week before carbonating and bottling.

At best it might do the trick and you can then adjust the amount and the time to fine tune the brew ... :thumb:

... and at worst you will be a few quid down and carry the memory of the smell to your grave! :doh:

I think you may find that the beer will be difficult to clear but I really do hope I'm wrong on that one. :thumb:

Hope this helps. :thumb:

beee97b08c00d52ba51cb4eb2e734070.jpg

Might be suitable?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

There is a way to add cheese flavour to beer. It's the same way you add bacon flavour to beer, which apparently very popular in the states. Basically, iirc you soak the cheese in vodka for say a week. Strain the cheese from the vodka and then freeze the vodka. You then scape the fozen layer of fat off from the cheese and add the cheese flavoured vodka to the beer.

Apparently this technique, which actually has a name (Fat washing) is well known in the worldof cocktail making and often used add unusual flavours to cocktails can be used to add all sorts of food flavours to beer.

: Here's a good tutorial.

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/fat-washing-using-fatty-or-oily-foods.html

This link suggests you may need to heat up the spirit to melt the cheese

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11351262/Fad-watch-would-you-drink-a-cheese-cocktail.html

If you google 'fat washing' you'll get plenty of hits on how to extract the cheese flavour. Also google 'bacon flavoured beer' will also give you some other ideas on how to add cheese flavour to beer as there's idea such as 'dry hopping' with bacon which you may be able to use with cheese

If you google 'fat washing' you'll get plenty of hits on how to extract the cheese flavour. .............

Brilliant Post and plenty to look at for research ... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

... but I just had to highlight the above. :lol: :lol:

I haven't Googled it myself but I reckon that you will also get a lot of offers from very large ladies who tell you that they are in need of a bath! :whistle:

what is your history/experience with brewing + welcome to the forum :)

I'm pretty sure you can get lactose free cheese in most supermarkets, or even vegan cheese.

As far as cheese beer goes,I personally couln't imagine a worse flavour, but your best bet is probably fat washing or nutritional yeast flakes.

On a side note, hes probably lactose intolerant because he's not a baby cow.

Back