Which bottled water brands are people using nowadays?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderTropica

Reaction score
Googling around, it seems that Tesco Ashbeck mineral water was the go-to for homebrewers for many years. However, I then came across this post which says its composition has changed: Tesco Ashbeck Water Change

So, what are people using instead? Or is Ashbeck still the best?

For context, I live in a hard water area, which lent itself well to making a barley wine recently. However, I now want to make a Pilsner or Helles style beer, and my local water will probably be too hard for that.

Thanks. 😊

Depending on whether you are a kit, extract, or all grain beer this may or not be massively relevant but depending on where you live some RO water from Spotless or 24/7 Pure Water may be an option if you have a suitable container and are confident in calculating liquor salt additions.

I've started with 24/7 who offer £20 free credit (Spotless offer free credit but only with a referral), and prices are ridiculously low I'm not likely to have to spend my own money fot a few brews yet.

I personally would (& do) treat your tap water. It doesn't have to be hard or scary, bit this thread might go that way 🤣🤣

Get some AMS & DWB from maltmiller. They will last you ages and be much cheaper.

The maths is easy, and if you want to go for it pm me and can send you some stuff that explains.

Who is you water supplier?

Last edited:
Googling around, it seems that Tesco Ashbeck mineral water was the go-to for homebrewers for many years. However, I then came across this post which says its composition has changed: Tesco Ashbeck Water Change

So, what are people using instead? Or is Ashbeck still the best?

For context, I live in a hard water area, which lent itself well to making a barley wine recently. However, I now want to make a Pilsner or Helles style beer, and my local water will probably be too hard for that.

Thanks. 😊
The changes in Ashbecks composition were minor and should not have been seen as a reason for anyone to stop using Ashbeck.

I use RO pretty much because I have a marine fish tank and use the Harris Pure Brew for additions. A cheap RO unit can be had for around £30-40. I used to buy RO for around £5 per 20-25 litres.

Thanks all for the replies.

I am using malt extract kits to make the beer and am looking for a cheap and quick solution for small batches, so won't be going the RO or treatment route.

I have ordered some Ashbeck water for a couple of quid and will let you know how it goes. 👍

I used chase spring that used to be available 17p for 2 litres before covid/ukraine invasion, lidl, asda and tesco had it. If you want a lower PH for using with starsan nestle's OAKWOOD is better. They also source from LIGHTWOOD and that's not suited.

Here's my water table (no pun intended)
1699432674948.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back