Cherry hefe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eduardo

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a cherry hefe this weekend and was wondering if i would be able to blend the cherries up and add to the last five minutes of the boil then just leave in the primary to settle in the trub?

Will this cause any issue or is there a simpler way to do it?

I just had a look through the book "Extreme brewing" and for 18.9L brews it suggests 4.5kg for sour or 3.6kg for sweet cherry, but halve that if using puréed fruit. Then the advice is to add to the kettle right after the boil but leave it to steep for 20 min at 71-77*C before chilling the wort. Chill and then remove the fruit(if not puréed) before moving to the FV.

Hope that helps

Not sure on the recipe you are using, but cherries are fairly high in pectin so may be worth using a little enzyme.

Not sure cherries would work flavour wise with banana and clove :hmm: other fruits like orange or strawberries seem to work for some . Maybe a belgian yeast instead and only around 30% wheat with pilsner malt , ibu maybe around 25 . just a thought .

jkp said:
I just had a look through the book "Extreme brewing" and for 18.9L brews it suggests 4.5kg for sour or 3.6kg for sweet cherry, but halve that if using puréed fruit. Then the advice is to add to the kettle right after the boil but leave it to steep for 20 min at 71-77*C before chilling the wort. Chill and then remove the fruit(if not puréed) before moving to the FV.

Hope that helps

Just the kind if thing I was looking for. Thanks.

pittsy said:
Not sure cherries would work flavour wise with banana and clove :hmm: other fruits like orange or strawberries seem to work for some . Maybe a belgian yeast instead and only around 30% wheat with pilsner malt , ibu maybe around 25 . just a thought .

Maybe making more of a Flemish type wit with a different yeast? Could well be a good shout. I do want to make a 50/50 pilsner/wheat tho to see just how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back