INFECTION ????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me here
On 1st of August I brewed my usual Hazy Jane clone that I have brewed on several occasions without incident. This brew proved problematic as I had scaled my recipe up to 25L and I had not taken into account how much volume the extra water and grain would take up in the malt pipe. That aside,after a 30 minute covered whirlpool I chilled the wort down to 25°c and let it sit totally sealed for about 2 hours to allow the trub to settle. After this I pumped the wort into my fermzilla conical, sealed and placed in my ferm fridge waiting for pitching temp of 20°c which took about 2 hours. Before pitching the yeast US-05 I dumped 0.5L of the settled trub into the collection jar, sanitised the butterfly valve on the fermenter and sealed the container and left it in the fridge just to see how much clear wort would settle in the jar. I had also drained the remaining 2.5 Litres of trub (leaving behind the hops) into an empty 5L bottle that had previously contained Chem San and placed that in the fridge again just to see how much the trub would settle leaving clear wort. My reasoning for this was to see how much wort was being wasted by not pouring all of the wort including trub into the fermenter.
After a week in the fermenter the yeast is still going strong SG is already at 1013 expect FG 1011 and it doesn’t show any sign of slowing down.
If you are still reading thank you here is the problem!
Today I noticed the 5L bottle of wort had expanded and on opening the was an alarming hiss. I also opened the caps on the side of the collection jar and wort and trub sprayed everywhere reminiscent of a bottle bomb. Hence my question do I have an infection in my beer any help would be much appreciated thanks
I SHOULD ADD THE CONTAINERS WERE BOTH LEFT @ 20°c

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your reply this is the first time that I’ve done this .
My original thinking was it was happening because of the temperature being at 20°c. Then I thought what about the No chill advocates where wort is left in containers at ambient temperatures for some considerable time. The only difference being it was put in the container at much higher temperatures and would this negate the fizz ???

There's not a brewer on this site that doesn't have some contamination in their beer. It's the result of sanitising rather than sterilising. Healthy fermentation is just yeast out competing everything else, by brewers giving it the best conditions to thrive. It's more than likely your fermentation is fine, but in your two other vessels, any contaminate has had a free run.

The saga continues SG has dropped to 1.009 giving me an ABV of 6.3% (84% attenuation)
The beer tastes quite alcoholic at this stage ( fusel alcohol) I’m going to drop the temp to 14°c ready for the dry hop. However I’m in two minds as to what to do :-
1. Carry on and dry hop with the usual 200g of hops and hope for the best ?
2. Dump it now and save the hops for another brew and try again ?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Have you brewed this before? Does it taste like it will get there, or does it taste like its getting away?
Yep brewed it twice before
SG 1060 FG 1014
SG 1059 FG 1012
This brew :-
SG 1057 FG 1009 ( I’m sure it would drop further if I let it)
It doesn’t taste like rocket fuel but thinner and harsher than normal

This sounds to me more like a mash temp thing.

I would think of it an "experiment " and carry on.
Thanks for your thoughts. Do you think the length of the mash would impact significantly on the conversion of sugars? The reason I ask is that the original recipe calls for only a 25 minute mash @ 66°c . On both previous brews I mashed for 45 mins. However this time I think I reverted to my default 60 minutes mash which was 66°c +/- 1°c .

Hmm. Good question. Yeeees.

I do think less that 45m is with a modern malt is asking for trouble.

So the question becomes has longer become dryer?

My default is 45m@65c for that rest.

Last edited:
Good point I think I will try the 25 minute mash @ 66°c next time and see what happens. I was just not sure if I could reach the predicted SG of 1.061
Why? What are you trying to achieve?

25 minutes would be risky. It doesn't look like there was much wrong with your initial 45' mash.

I just want a beer that tastes something like the original but doesn’t have those fusel off flavours that give me a banging headache after a couple of pints.
Maybe I should drop the grain bill and aim for 5% 🤷🏻

I just want a beer that tastes something like the original but doesn’t have those fusel off flavours that give me a banging headache after a couple of pints.
Maybe I should drop the grain bill and aim for 5% 🤷🏻
Was this a problem with the previous batches? How much yeast are you pitching?

Just checked my notes first two brews I used one pkt of verdant ipa yeast in 21 and 23 litres respectively.
This brew 25L I used 1 pkt of US-05 (says it good for 20-30L on the pkt )
I think the fusel alcohol was there in the first 2 brews but only just detectable . I don’t recall suffering from a bad head though.

6.3% would give me a headache whether fusel or not I am with Mashbag @ 4% session beer the only problem is getting the body the same if you were to drop the ingredients to produce a lower SG.
Did you have temp fluctuation in the fermentation or go above the yeast spec. I have gone higher temp on the odd yeast but not dramatically and never had a fusel as of yet maybe just been lucky

Latest posts

Back