Chick pea beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texteditor

Reaction score
I noticed that a pan of chick peas left on the stove (in a very cold kitchen) started to ferment after about 5 days. Has anyone invetigated this further and brewed chick pea beer?
texteditor.

I have seen dog turd ferment on the road but it doesn't mean I would want to make beer out of it.

Why would you want to make beer put of chick peas. :lol: :wha: :wha:

Hey, chickpeas taste nice!
So it /might/ work.
But I suggest they ought to be properly malted

Well, chick peas go well with rice from a dietery standpoint because of a slightly higher protein than carbohydrate content, compared to brown rice, together with a complemetary protein profile to that of brown rice.

So I would guess further that chick peas are probably too low in starch to be worth making beer from and it would be difficult to clear anyway.

But you can curry them. And that goes OK with beer :lol:

proost said:
texteditor said:
I noticed that a pan of chick peas left on the stove (in a very cold kitchen) started to ferment after about 5 days. Has anyone invetigated this further and brewed chick pea beer?
texteditor.

Er, five days on the stove????????????????????

:eek:

I had them fermenting in my stomach overnight and she,s asked me to leave the house and don't come back until they have been fully fermented and left my ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

I don't know for chick pea but I made beer with regular dried peas. Nothing extraordinary in it.

zgoda said:
I don't know for chick pea but I made beer with regular dried peas. Nothing extraordinary in it.

I would imagine chick peas would add very little do the beer flavour and may be like adding rice to the mash. Could produce something with very little body.

Maybe try an experimental mini mash and check gravity reading. Maybe compare it to a mini step mash.

I would be very interested in this. It might be better as a wine or spirit - something with higher alcohol content than a beer. Rice might be fairly bland, but sake is brewed from it at the end of the day (I appreciate it's not just bog standard basmati though).

Sake involves the fermentation with Aspergillus oryzae before yeast is added. Chick peas may well have too much protein in them and would certainly cause problems with haze. You would also have to convert the starch into sugars and not knowing the diastatic powers of chick pea you would probably have to use a certain amount of pale malt anyway to mash it with.

Still don't see any good reason to do so. I haven't found any reference to chick pea beer or wine on the internet so that probably speaks volumes.

What is the difference between a lentil and a chickpea?

would you pay £200 to have a lentil on your face!

not sure I'd fancy making beer out of that

Latest posts

Back