Chiller exit temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Here's a thought, what about putting the old dead fridge, in the freezer and using it as a fermentation cabinet?
If your FV fits in the dead fridge then that would provide better insulation than a neoprene jacket.

You could probably get yourself a free fridge from FB marketplace or gumtree as well…

All done. Phew! Slowest hole in christendom.

Thanks guys the suggestions. Worked great. Even got the endoscope out. 😂😂

20230502_171817.jpg

I ordered some superb pipe insulation today. Plastic covered. Should stay cleaner than the black foamy stuff.

Screenshot_20230526-074512_Brave.jpg

Getting closer to a real run now, quite looking forward to it.

Last edited:
But another question nags.

I normally brew with insulation on the fermentation vessel.

In the summer, when I expect to be using this chiller am I better with or without insulation?

Without. If you're using the fridge to control the temperature, you applying insulation around the fermenter will just make the fridge less effective at cooling the beer.

There is a fair amount of metabolic heat generated by the yeast during the first few days of fermentation. If you insulate the fermenter, you'll be keeping this heat in.

The fermenter is not in the fridge. The fridge is chilling the water reservoir.
Ah, right. Sorry.
In which case, yes - I would still insulate the fermenter. If you are trying to chill the fermenter to lower than ambient temperature, then insulating it from the warm surroundings will make the chilling more effective. It'll also prevent condensation on the outside of your fermenter.

OK first live test has started.

After overnight ambient chilling, I had 27c reading on the BM.

Fridge pump (run manually) took it down to 19c. (actually 18.6 on the inkbird cos I took my eye off the ball).

So far properly chuffed. I have little doubt this will cope with keeping +/- 0.6c controlled by the inkbird.

Thanks for your replies.
And Nash.. Thanks for the lid mate 👍🏻👍🏻

I don't "need" this, at the moment, because the fermentation temps are not getting out of hand.

But it's really handy to get to pitch temp quickly. Overnight chill got to 28, this got it to 20c in 10 mins while I was having a cuppa.

Latest posts

Back