Chip shops face 'extinction' amid cost of living crisis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A bad news day asad1

Fish and chip shops are facing "extinction" amid rising costs, an industry body has warned.
Some shops in the West of England say the soaring price of cod, sunflower oil and energy has left them struggling.
The National Federation of Fish Friers is urging the government to cut VAT and help shops with energy bills.
A government spokesman said it is supporting businesses "of all sizes by slashing fuel duty" and introducing a 50% business rates relief.
The federation has secured a meeting with ministers on Thursday to push its message that the industry needs help.

'No longer top priority'

One manager said they feared some families were cutting out regular fish and chip nights due to the cost-of-living crisis.
Craig Williams, from Sand Bay Fish and Chip Shop near Weston-super-Mare, said the current situation was "worse" than during the pandemic.
"People were coming in to spend their money [when] they were furloughed," he said.

"People had money in their pockets, people are penny-pinching now. So fish and chips might not be top of their priority list on a Friday night."
Some shops are putting their prices up to stay afloat.
Bishopston Fish Bar on Gloucester Road in Bristol has already raised its prices three times this year, but staff hope they will not have to do it again.
Jason Ford, from the shop, said during the same period "business had dropped by about 30% per cent - but we're still going".

National Federation of Fish Friers President Andrew Crook revealed about 66% of shops had reduced opening hours to save money - equating to a fall in staffing levels of four people per shop.
He added: "Unfortunately this is potentially an extinction event for small businesses.
"It's like nothing we've ever seen before."
A government spokesman said: "We are working closely with industry to mitigate the impact our sanctions against Russia may have on British businesses, including through the creation of the £100m UK Seafood Fund.
"We're already supporting businesses of all sizes by slashing fuel duty, introducing a 50% business rates relief for eligible high street businesses and put the brakes on bill increases by freezing the business rates multiplier - worth £4.6 billion over the next five years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-62650572

A bad news day asad1

Fish and chip shops are facing "extinction" amid rising costs, an industry body has warned.
Some shops in the West of England say the soaring price of cod, sunflower oil and energy has left them struggling.
The National Federation of Fish Friers is urging the government to cut VAT and help shops with energy bills.
A government spokesman said it is supporting businesses "of all sizes by slashing fuel duty" and introducing a 50% business rates relief.
The federation has secured a meeting with ministers on Thursday to push its message that the industry needs help.

'No longer top priority'

One manager said they feared some families were cutting out regular fish and chip nights due to the cost-of-living crisis.
Craig Williams, from Sand Bay Fish and Chip Shop near Weston-super-Mare, said the current situation was "worse" than during the pandemic.
"People were coming in to spend their money [when] they were furloughed," he said.

"People had money in their pockets, people are penny-pinching now. So fish and chips might not be top of their priority list on a Friday night."
Some shops are putting their prices up to stay afloat.
Bishopston Fish Bar on Gloucester Road in Bristol has already raised its prices three times this year, but staff hope they will not have to do it again.
Jason Ford, from the shop, said during the same period "business had dropped by about 30% per cent - but we're still going".

National Federation of Fish Friers President Andrew Crook revealed about 66% of shops had reduced opening hours to save money - equating to a fall in staffing levels of four people per shop.
He added: "Unfortunately this is potentially an extinction event for small businesses.
"It's like nothing we've ever seen before."
A government spokesman said: "We are working closely with industry to mitigate the impact our sanctions against Russia may have on British businesses, including through the creation of the £100m UK Seafood Fund.
"We're already supporting businesses of all sizes by slashing fuel duty, introducing a 50% business rates relief for eligible high street businesses and put the brakes on bill increases by freezing the business rates multiplier - worth £4.6 billion over the next five years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-62650572
Typical media scare mongering, chippy by us is always mega busy an more since the COVID as they branched out into doing deliveries, a bit of a pain now to just get a bag of chips as they so busy

Typical media scare mongering, chippy by us is always mega busy an more since the COVID as they branched out into doing deliveries, a bit of a pain now to just get a bag of chips as they so busy

I have no doubt they have exaggerated but we have definitely cut down the amount of takeaways we eat and as this cost of living mess carries on i can see all fast food shops seeing a huge drop in sales.

Most of them survived the last recession. There will be a certain group of people who will still need their regular fix of fried products.

What a load of bollix never heard such **** apart from when boris opens his gob
Which part?

Based on my knowledge during the housing crash of 2008, 100% of thr chip shops in my town and two neighbouring towns remained open, with one town getting another during that time (plus a couple of other takeaways).

Many survive because they take a cut in their own income from the business. Many are husband & wife teams with children/other family helping out, after school and in the holidays, unpaid except for food.... from what I see around town, I'm not an insider.

One chippy/chinesetake away near me has closed earlier this year, just a sign on the door. I expect a couple of pizza joints nearby don't help. But many of the younger generation are no longer wedded to F&C, it's fried chicken, burgers, pizza on every corner in town centres.

food prices going up energy prices going up and up. Price cap predicted to hit 6000 or more inflation predicted 18%, of course chip shops will suffer they use vast amounts of electricity. I've noticed the one near me has cut opening hours I doubt very much that's due to increased customers. It's more like increased costs and a decrease in customer's.
I noticed this morning Johnson said we should suffer bill increases to defeat Putin, that's ok coming from a rich twa# that has no idea of reality.

Latest posts

Back