Young drivers face £3,000 cost for car insurance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are being a bit inaccurate about that. It's more the plethora of high tech we are having attached to the vulnerable front and rears of most cars that's the problem.

How many +50k cars do you see on the roads nowadays? Well the answer is A LOT. The prevalence of company car schemes and the lease culture means more people are paying a moderate monthly sum to drive about in a car they could never afford to actually 'buy'.
And what do those cars have fitted?

Well matrix led headlights (grand a pop)
Radar fitted to the front grill/bumper (grand a pop)
Cameras and parking and blind spot sensors (add in a plastic bumper and that's a grand a pop)

So even a simple prang that in the olden days (10 years ago) would have been a grand for a bumper, grill, headlight, maybe a wing crease ironing out and some paint matching) is now a 5 grand repair
You also have some cars trying so hard to maximise interior space that the engine and cooling is shoved as close to the grill and behind the bumper as possible, so a simple bump can also damage the cooling radiator, oil cooler, gearbox cooler and Aircon heat exchanger. That will be another 5 grand....

Then add in anything over 15mph will probably result in the airbag going off, all the seatbelt tensioner firing and the collapsing crush tubes on the front chassis subframe squishing in, resulting in the engine moving about knackering the gearbox and drive shafts and probably knack'ing the adaptive dampers and front suspension, totally deforming the bonnet and both front wings, then you are writing off even a new car worth 50k

Last edited:
Good point. That's a very good point about leasing. The value of the on road stock will have shock up.

And yet again technomadness. I am in no doubt we make things too complicated.

It's no wonder the classic defender holds its money.

We will have price crash on cars by end of year, beginning of 2025. Might have a knock on effect.
Another issue is cars are easy to steal. Also motorbike insurance is usually cheaper because they don't get used as much.

I think you are being a bit inaccurate about that. It's more the plethora of high tech we are having attached to the vulnerable front and rears of most cars that's the problem.

How many +50k cars do you see on the roads nowadays? Well the answer is A LOT. The prevalence of company car schemes and the lease culture means more people are paying a moderate monthly sum to drive about in a car they could never afford to actually 'buy'.
And what do those cars have fitted?

Well matrix led headlights (grand a pop)
Radar fitted to the front grill/bumper (grand a pop)
Cameras and parking and blind spot sensors (add in a plastic bumper and that's a grand a pop)

So even a simple prang that in the olden days (10 years ago) would have been a grand for a bumper, grill, headlight, maybe a wing crease ironing out and some paint matching) is now a 5 grand repair
You also have some cars trying so hard to maximise interior space that the engine and cooling is shoved as close to the grill and behind the bumper as possible, so a simple bump can also damage the cooling radiator, oil cooler, gearbox cooler and Aircon heat exchanger. That will be another 5 grand....

Then add in anything over 15mph will probably result in the airbag going off, all the seatbelt tensioner firing and the collapsing crush tubes on the front chassis subframe squishing in, resulting in the engine moving about knackering the gearbox and drive shafts and probably knack'ing the adaptive dampers and front suspension, totally deforming the bonnet and both front wings, then you are writing off even a new car worth 50k
Spot on, our first juke 64 plate, someone reversed into it in a cycle shop car park and cracked the front bumper, luckily the guy came in the shop asking who owned it, total cost of repair £6,300 i never knew how big a front bumper could be it's the whole front on a juke even round the head lights

Mine went up £200-00 this year after getting 4 points off the Welsh gestapo last year, coming back in a couple of weeks, so if your in Pembrokshire and are behind a juke doin 18mph i will say sorry now :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

Back