Chlorine taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaindm

Reaction score
After bottling a Finlandia lager I decided to try one before putting it into storage and got a hint of chlorine in the taste. I had cleaned and sterilised using VWP and was sure that I had rinsed everything properly. Is there anything I can do to save the situation or do I pour it down the sink .

Try another one first, I've only ever had one bottle that tasted off and it tasted fairly much as you say, I put it down to not rinsing properly, never had another problem since. If the second bottle is the same I would still leave it to mature first before pouring it all away.

Have now started to use Videne, solved the rinsing problem ;)

I've never rinsed VWP and never tasted chlorine.

What dilution rate are you using?

I would suggest its an issue with your water. Did you use campden?

K

Dilution rate as recommended on the tub, and the water was fine in the other 8 brews that I have tasted so far.

I try and collect the water I will be using for brews the day before and let it stand with a campden tablet in it.
Rinsing is imperative for VWP but is normally acieved with 2 good rinses. Perhaps its just young and will clear itself after a few weeks. I never try to taste a beer until its 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle

piddledribble said:
I try and collect the water I will be using for brews the day before and let it stand with a campden tablet in it.
Rinsing is imperative for VWP but is normally acieved with 2 good rinses. Perhaps its just young and will clear itself after a few weeks. I never try to taste a beer until its 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle

I can't resist trying some after 3 or 4 DAYS. :oops:

Me neither..... :oops: but were talking good practise here... :D

After leaving it for 3 months Idecided to try a bottle last week, unfortunately the chlorine raste was still there. Sad to see nearly 40 pints going down the drain.

Is your water chlorinated?

Boiling the water first may remove the chlorine present in the water.

However, an increasing number of communities (at least in the U.S.) are adding a more stable form of chlorine, chloramine to their water supplies. Chloramine is not readily removed by simply boiling the water.

Filtration with an active carbon filter is a simple way to chloramine. The addition of one Campden tablet per 20 U.S. gallons (~76 litters) will also remove it.

I hope this helps.

- Scott

Latest posts

Back