Choosing - Brewzilla 35l vs Brauheld Pro 45l vs Brauheld Smart 45l

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The malt miller do a grist box separator test, to find crush settings for giving consistent coarse : fine : flour ratios across grains.
The light and dark wheat malt bags from TMM, looked to have same amount of flour as their barley malts I used in the recipe.
Good video from a few years back.

I feel the wheat issues mainly come from it being a huskless malt (like naked barley), and having higher gum levels.

Agree!

■■■ Success ■■■
I repeated the same Wisenbock recipe, only difference - scaling it down to 23l batch (stuck & scorched one was 25l). With barley husks still at !0% of malted wheat.
This time I skipped the 20min rest at 45°C, so it was a thinner initial mash. And after the initial stir in, let the grain bed rest for 60min before recirculating through it.
Didn't stick this time. Recirculation fine at around 50% flow, but couldn't manage max flow (without overflow).
Before boil, checked base by draining off into two buckets. But only a sprinkling of flour & fine crush this time.

Stirring madly throughout mash, so that recirculation can be done at max rate without overflow, doesn’t seem to make much sense. Surely the bed isn't then a filter.

Stirring madly throughout mash, so that recirculation can be done at max rate without overflow, doesn’t seem to make much sense. Surely the bed isn't then a filter.
To be honest I do not stir my grains maybe those do will reply. If I had a stuck mash I would stir though. I think a stir after 15 and 30 mins would not do much harm though you should still get clear wort at the end of the boil.

■■■ Success ■■■
I repeated the same Wisenbock recipe, only difference - scaling it down to 23l batch (stuck & scorched one was 25l). With barley husks still at !0% of malted wheat.
This time I skipped the 20min rest at 45°C, so it was a thinner initial mash. And after the initial stir in, let the grain bed rest for 60min before recirculating through it.
Didn't stick this time. Recirculation fine at around 50% flow, but couldn't manage max flow (without overflow).
Before boil, checked base by draining off into two buckets. But only a sprinkling of flour & fine crush this time.

The stirring isn't 'madly' but gently and it isn't throughout the mash, it is for 20 minutes determined by the diastatic power of the malt.
You have to keep the grains closer to the surface not on the bottom where a stuck mash will occur. Then after 20 minutes the mash rest for 40 minutes. Not the other way around.
https://crispmalt.com/news/the-crisp-guide-to-mashing/

Latest posts

Back