Cider kit (basic!) query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curryholic

Reaction score
Pretty much newbie here. I've just bottled off my first brew of bitter and I've already picked up a cider kit to start after the weekend (I'm going away!).

In the kit there is the tin of gunk, a sachet of yeast and another clear plastic sachet and I've had a look in the kit and the instructions are fairly clear except for the clear plastic sachet :hmm: .

Anyone know when I need to add this in? From another post is it pour in gunk from can (with water) and yeast and leave for a week, then add the clear plastic sachet before racking???

Thanks,
dave

Possibly. Does the sachet say anything on it (possibly finings)?

If you can determine what's IN the sachet, we can help ya out :)

What type of cider kit is it? Maybe someone has done one and knows what's in the sachet.

the clear sachet, I believe is nutrient and should be added at the beginning with the yeast, make them work better.

read it here

Is it a regular cider or a flavoured one? The clear sachet could be a flavour extract such as elderflower or just apple.

Hi,

My guess is Anthony is right with flavouring. I have done some flavoured Magnum Cider Kits that contained said sachet. Add it to the fermentor after the initial fermentation has died down a bit(two to three days) to benifit from the flavouring fully.

N.b. Finings aren't usually supplied with cider or beer kits (though its not impossible). Yeast nutrient is usually a powder and not a clear liquid (again possible). If all else fails then you could open the sachet, if it is a flavouring then you will be able to tell from the smell.

Can't exactly remember the name of the kit (it's a pale yellowy/green colour :roll: ). But it is a pear cider so I think you are probably right in that it's a flavouring. I'll have another look tonight and let you guys know.

Thanks for the quick response,
Dave

The flavoring is definitely more likely than finings being included with a kit.

I did a Raspberry Wheat bear from Milestone and they included a flavor sachet in the kit. The instructions were to add it after primary fermentation had died down as someone said above me.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

anthonyUK said:
Sounds like a Magnum kit. Unless you like peardrops I'd avoid the flavouring ;)

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of the kit? Or is it that the pear flavouring disappears during the process and the flavour pouch puts it back in?

I don't know if this kit is a proper pear cider made with pear juice or an apple cider with pear flavouring either way may Dad made it and it just had an overpowering chemically peardrop taste. Pear cider or perry should not taste of this IMHO.

Hi, most prob is flavouring , sometimes best to only use half sachet in case the whole sachet is a bit overpowering, just make a note for future use.
paul
keg 9 homebrews
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KEG-9-Homebrews

Curryholic said:
Pretty much newbie here. I've just bottled off my first brew of bitter and I've already picked up a cider kit to start after the weekend (I'm going away!).

In the kit there is the tin of gunk, a sachet of yeast and another clear plastic sachet and I've had a look in the kit and the instructions are fairly clear except for the clear plastic sachet :hmm: .

Anyone know when I need to add this in? From another post is it pour in gunk from can (with water) and yeast and leave for a week, then add the clear plastic sachet before racking???

Thanks,
dave

The Magnum cider kit's all (as far as I am aware) contain the same 1kg can of concentrate they only differ via (i.e strawberry, elderflower, etc) the additional flavouring. Anthony is right again about the pear flavouring it has a strong (overpowering) taste of pear drops and a high level of residual sweetness. This is of course a personal preference you could add half the packet. However the pear drop taste diminishes after about a month or so of maturation leaving a more rounded taste. I personally found this kit a bit of disapointment initially, especially compared to the elderflower kit that I really enjoyed. After a few months It improved vastley (see above), though in my opinion not as good as the elderflower.

Eradite said:
After a few months It improved vastley (see above), though in my opinion not as good as the elderflower.

Don't tell my mrs that... she wanted me to get the elderflower one!!! :oops:

Just checked the kit and it is a magnum's one. I've just re-read the instructions and the flavouring goes in once 1st fermentation is completed. Will keep you posted!!!

Back