My house wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillonstewart

Reaction score
Hello all.

Yesterday I bottled my first batch of what used to be my standard house wine since I restarted home brewing. An elderflower wine.

It's a very simple "recipe". 1x 23l white wine kit (usually a 7 day Chardonnay) and dried elderflowers. The dried elderflowers get thrown in during the initial making of the kit and I rack the wine into a second FV for de-gassing and clearing. This also gets rid of the vast majority of the floating flowers.

This results in a wine every bit as good as shop bought Cairn o Mohr elderflower and if allowed to mellow for 6 months or so in the bottle is truly delicious.

Back in the day I'd have 15 gallons on at any time. One fermenting, one "maturing" and the other being drunk. They went on a 7 day cycle, so it took 7 days to drink the 5 gallons, 7 days to "mature" and 7 days to drink and there was a limitless supply of wine... Albeit it was always way too young.

This was fine when 23l kits were £18 but at nearly £30 now I've been having thoughts....

A 5 litre drum of white wine concentrate costs c£45. If I made 4 batches using 1.25l of the concentrate in each and add the elderflowers, the only thing I'm missing is the oak chips and the little flavouring sachet.

I'm not convinced the oak chips make a vast difference in the 7 brewing days but I can easily get plenty of oak chips so not an issue.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the little flavouring sachets make to the finished elderflower wine. The main flavour comes from the flowers I think but the extra 250mls of grape concentrate should make a difference to the overall wine.

The rest of the contents of the kit are basic supplies I've already got in bulk anyway, yeast, nutrient and finings. The only thing I'd need to get is a bulk supply of stabiliser.

The only thing that could be an issue is the concentration of the concentrate in the kits compared to the bulk bought stuff (which is 4x concentrated) and the general flavour of the two concentrates.

Once I've been paid, I'm going to order a 1 litre bottle and a 250ml of concentrate and give it a bash. I've got a fresh batch of wine from the kit to compare it to. I won't be wasting a vast quantity of wine if it turns out nasty.

Potentially, this would make 120 bottles of wine at approximately 40p each using the 5 litre drums.

Hello all.

Yesterday I bottled my first batch of what used to be my standard house wine since I restarted home brewing. An elderflower wine.

It's a very simple "recipe". 1x 23l white wine kit (usually a 7 day Chardonnay) and dried elderflowers. The dried elderflowers get thrown in during the initial making of the kit and I rack the wine into a second FV for de-gassing and clearing. This also gets rid of the vast majority of the floating flowers.

This results in a wine every bit as good as shop bought Cairn o Mohr elderflower and if allowed to mellow for 6 months or so in the bottle is truly delicious.

Back in the day I'd have 15 gallons on at any time. One fermenting, one "maturing" and the other being drunk. They went on a 7 day cycle, so it took 7 days to drink the 5 gallons, 7 days to "mature" and 7 days to drink and there was a limitless supply of wine... Albeit it was always way too young.

This was fine when 23l kits were £18 but at nearly £30 now I've been having thoughts....

A 5 litre drum of white wine concentrate costs c£45. If I made 4 batches using 1.25l of the concentrate in each and add the elderflowers, the only thing I'm missing is the oak chips and the little flavouring sachet.

I'm not convinced the oak chips make a vast difference in the 7 brewing days but I can easily get plenty of oak chips so not an issue.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the little flavouring sachets make to the finished elderflower wine. The main flavour comes from the flowers I think but the extra 250mls of grape concentrate should make a difference to the overall wine.

The rest of the contents of the kit are basic supplies I've already got in bulk anyway, yeast, nutrient and finings. The only thing I'd need to get is a bulk supply of stabiliser.

The only thing that could be an issue is the concentration of the concentrate in the kits compared to the bulk bought stuff (which is 4x concentrated) and the general flavour of the two concentrates.

Once I've been paid, I'm going to order a 1 litre bottle and a 250ml of concentrate and give it a bash. I've got a fresh batch of wine from the kit to compare it to. I won't be wasting a vast quantity of wine if it turns out nasty.

Potentially, this would make 120 bottles of wine at approximately 40p each using the 5 litre drums.

I can't stress this enough, a combination of value range supermarket apple juice combined with some sultanas makes a delicious white wine which will blow most of the kits out of the water. Try substituting a lot of your grape concentrate for a combo of sultanas and apple juice.

Using grape concentrate at 1lt in a 23lt batch is a vast waste of time. It's too diluted and produces a **** wine just like the cheap kits do.

Most of the cheap kits (wine buddy) use a blend of fruit concentrates such as apple, elderberry and cranberry. These kits contain very little actual grape concentrate.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but the 250ml flavour packs do NOT contain 250ml of grape concentrate. That 250ml is mainly made up of glycerine and extracts (flavourings).

Classic white for me.

10lt apple juice value range £6.50
1kg sultanas £2.99
French Oak chips heavy toast 40g
How ever much sugar
Top up to 23lt

And I hate to burst your bubble, but the 250ml flavour packs do NOT contain 250ml of grape concentrate. That 250ml is mainly made up of glycerine and extracts (flavourings).
The ingredients would tend to say otherwise
20220716_144025.jpg

It's a elderflower wine I'm making not a generic white. The flavour is all elderflower. That's not today I won't experiment with extra ingredients but I'm happy to wait and see how this first experimental batch tastes.

1.25 litres of 4.5x concentrated grape juice
20 litres water
4 kg sugar
50g dried elderflowers

Back