Cider needs Bite!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich85

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I started off my first attempt at making cider with apples from our apple tree 3 weeks ago. It started at 1.060 and dropped to around 1.000 over a week or so. It has cleared almost perfectly since then and I thought I'd give it a try tonight to see what it is like to see if it needs sweetening and bottle it.

It tastes like scrumpy cider however it is a bit lacking in body and bite like it has been watered down and quite dry. I only added at most a mug fill of water with the dissolved sugar in to bring the OG up to 1.060. The apples I used tasted like they would be ideal, quite bitter and sharp but really nice.

I was thinking of adding tannin to give it the bite but I have got no idea what to do with it apart from that. I know it needs time to mature properly but is there anything I could add to improve it? I have since learned that an OG of 1.060 is quite low for cider, should I maybe add some more sugar and start up a secondary fermentation?

I was planning to bottle it and leave it till at least Christmas to mature which I'm sure will improve it vastly. Would I be better leaving it to condition in the demijohn or in bottles?

Cheers

Back