Cider Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphacento

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

A couple of months ago I bottled my second batch of cider. For this one I used the "Muntons Autumn Blush Cider Kit". I completed the whole procedure giving a bit of a personal touch by adding a little bit of honey before fermentation. I bottled all the batch and then I emptied the last bit into an half full bottle.

Today I wanted to check if it was ready so I opend the trial bottle and the swing top was blown away while the cider was flashing out of the bottle to about 1 meter and half from where I was standing.

Did this happened because I used to much sugar during priming or perhaps because the bottle was half full and the pressure was too much?

I could find out by opening a full bottle but I've just cleaned the floor!!

did u put a teaspoon and a 1/4 of sugar into the half full bottle? if so that's maybe how ur cider came pishing out the bottle as u would usually that amount of sugar in a full bottle. if your going to open a full bottle you should hold it over a big pot and get someone to hold a pot over the top of the bottle aswell so if it does come out at 100mph you dont lose any and u dont need to mop the kitchen floor.

Thanks for the suggestions. The amount of sugar that I used was in line with the amout suggested in the kit. I was suppose to use 1 teaspoon of sugar for a 500ml bottle so I actually used a little bit less then reccomended.

Tonight or tomorrow I will try a full bottle. Hopefully it will be ok!

Thanks again

Finally, 4 months after bottling, the cider is not splashing out when I opne the bottles and it is clearing. The taste is ok (which was already a couple of month ago). If I had to review the muntons kit I would define it as disappointing. The Magnum apple cider one is far better, cheaper and produces more cider.

Having said that TC is much better than any kit avaiable!

Latest posts

Back