Cinnamon in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech

Reaction score
What do you think about adding cinnamon to beer?
I like the taste and the smell but i'm not sure if it's ok.

Using cinnamon in anything can result in a very 'medicinal' taste. Not sure about using in beer, but it certainly does get used as I've seen it listed in Festive beers. However, I'm not sure if it gets added at the boil or if its added to the FV.

I used cinnamon in a Christmas ale that I brewed (along with all spice and star anise I think). It gave it a slight taste almost like a cough medicine. Not really a pure real ale flavour, but not unpleasant when drank with mince pies or Christmas pud.

That said, I still have plenty left in the garage...

I got the Yule Brew kit from Bulldog and it has cinnamon and ginger in it and it is very nice.

Did Brewuk's Wreck the Halls extract kit, and it's got a cinnamon addition. First taste was pretty good, although made an **** of timing it for Xmas.
Anyone fancy a Xmas beer at Easter?

Did Brewuk's Wreck the Halls extract kit, and it's got a cinnamon addition. First taste was pretty good, although made an **** of timing it for Xmas.
Anyone fancy a Xmas beer at Easter?

That's what happened to me with the Yule Brew. Started it in October and bottled last week lol.

Would a cinnamon tea work? If boiled it would be sterile and you could add the cinnamon sticks to the FV........I guess.

I read up quite a bit on using spices before making my Christmas ale...
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55808
It seems there isn't a definitive way to add spices but it's a good idea to use quite small quantities.
You can add at the end of the boil, during fermentation, or before bottling with a spice tea.
If you're determined to try I'd suggest a couple of 2cm sticks 15 mins before the boil ends. taste it and, if you think it needs more add a spoonful or two of ground cinnamon during fermentation. If still not enough, make cinnamon tea and add before bottling.

I'm pretty sure you can make a tincture out of most herbs and spices. Just put the herb/spice in vodka for a couple of weeks then add some at bottling time to taste

Had to look that one up. Never come across it before. Interesting but not fully convinced it's a good idea.

I first came across the term reading Confessions of an English opium eater by DeQuincy many a moon ago. Laudnum is a ticture of opium, which is how DeQuincy often took his opium. Whilst I don't advise sticking opium in your beer, It's apparently a good way to add flavourings like vanilla. Although I've yet to try it

Latest posts

Back