clarity and smell -my first ag brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirob

Reaction score
Im all grain newbie. only done one so far after several kit related experiments. its come out extremely pale and with an OG of 1.033 I havent got hopes of massive alcohol content.
Its based on the recipe for a copy of a shepards neame beer from dave lines book (what a revelation that lil baby was), tweaked the grains into the very pale end of the spectrum (some golden promise) and colour wise it reminds me of moonshine (happily a fave of mine). yeast wise I used the wyeast timothy taylors one and a combo of fuggles and goldings (seemed simple)
she's still a young un, only been in the pressure barrell a week now but a quick peek has confirmed nice carbonation and head retention (yey). she currently resides in my nice cool cellar and did get some finings thrown in at the 2ndry ferment stage.
My worry (and believe me i find myself worrying more about my beer than my kid) is that my peek at one week revealed the cloudiest beer i have ever made (all the kits cleared much better by this point- i know a week is so soon but im young and impatient). it also has a strong aroma to it. quite yeasty smell but again not quite like any of the kits. its a much stronger smell.
all im after is advice on how long to age her before really getting my laughing tackle around her. what do people think about the smell. I want the aroma of the hops to come through, its the smell i love. how patient do i have to be???

How long did you leave it in the FV for? Can you give us a run down of your wort making process? Someone might be able to pinpoint if it's a process issue, or just something that will sort itself in time.

I take it when you say "a quick peek you've drawn off a sample and tasted it? Did it taste OK? The smell might just be a characteristic of that particular yeast.

As for the early stages i did a 1.5hr mash (3.5kg grains, small amound of flaked maize and 12l water). I followed this with an hours boil (but it took 45min to come upto boil) with goldings in for an hour and some fuggles 15min from the end. I let it cool before throwing in the activated wyeast (timothy taylors strain).

It got 6 days (as long as it took to drop to 1.010 from and OG of 1.033) or so in the fv before i racked it into another sterilised vessel for a secondary ferment, dry hopped with fuggles (from freezer into a sterilised bag) and gelatine added all under airlock for 7 days. (no sign of bubbles on the airlock for 3 days at the end).

I have bottled a few in colourless glass to keep an eyue on its colour and cloudyness. it is settling. i think i just have to wait. like i said its my first go, i hope i'm just been impatient

Latest posts

Back