Clarity of wort?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PawsOfEvil

Reaction score
Today I have been trying to do a Pumpkin Ale recipe that I found knocking about on this forum. So far I have only done light beers, this one is significantly darker than anything I have tried before. I cant really sparge with my current setup so I usually do a sort of batch sparge and then filter the resulting worth through a hop strainer bag. My light beers have actually been really clear before the boil at this stage. Today the dark beer was quite muddy looking, I couldn't get anything out of it by filtering. I was wondering if this is normal? Will it clear much when I cool it? I'm not bothered much by the looks if it tastes OK but just want to try and understand what to expect in the future. :?:

If when its fermented you move it somewhere about 10 degree C cooler this might help to clear it, at least this works well with mead. However I am only shandy pants, I expect someone else will be along to advise you better :thumb:

1.3 Kg Marris Otter
60g Flaked Oats
50g Chocolate Malt

400g Pumpkin puree

60 min boil
8g Pacific Jade 12.5% @ 60
5g First Gold 7.2% @ 10
5g First Gold 7.2% @ 0

Safbrew T-58 yeast

This is a scaled down variation of Kev's recipe http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44238&p=429623&hilit=pumpkin#p429623

The wort was cloudy before I added the pumpkin or hops into the boil. It is fermenting away now at 1.060, I am hoping it settles out a bit in the next week or so once the activity dies down.

I did the same this mrning before I came to work I followed Kevin's recipe for the most part I added one can to the mash and I Might boil the other if I need it and made some minor hop adjustments (experimental Hops) to make it that spicy Pumkin Pie taste withoout the pumpkin. I also went a little heavy on the grain I wanted to see if I could get a ABV of around 12 %.

PawsOfEvil said:
1.3 Kg Marris Otter
60g Flaked Oats
50g Chocolate Malt

400g Pumpkin puree

60 min boil
8g Pacific Jade 12.5% @ 60
5g First Gold 7.2% @ 10
5g First Gold 7.2% @ 0

Safbrew T-58 yeast

This is a scaled down variation of Kev's recipe http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44238&p=429623&hilit=pumpkin#p429623

The wort was cloudy before I added the pumpkin or hops into the boil. It is fermenting away now at 1.060, I am hoping it settles out a bit in the next week or so once the activity dies down.

If you use a teaspoon, or less in a 1 gal batch, of irish moss, any solids will fall out during and after fermentation. Just put it in the boil with 15 minutes to go. I get quite a bit of material in the boil, some of which is filtered when the hops are filtered out.

Irish moss / copper finings 15 mins from the end of the boil help to promote clarity. Once fermented, move to somewhere as cool as possible to promote flocculation and clearing. You could try finings as well (i always use gelatine if I need to fine beer).

My other trick is to barrel the beer up, let it sit somewhere cool for as long as you can bear, then transfer it into another barrel either for consumption or bottling.

Back