Cleaning a glass with an activator..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any tips for cleaning / reinvigorating a glass with an activator? As some as you are aware I'm having troubles keeping head on my glasses no matter what I seem to try.

I just rinsed out my 2/3rd pint glass with HOT water, let it dry then cleaned it inside with a microfiber cloth.

This is the result of a boston lager after 5 minutes... the activator isn't doing anything at all.. .

kYXdifP.jpg

Are you in a hard water area crE?
I have hard water and I think this does affect the head on beers, particularly a lager if I'm in the mood for one.
I always rinse my glasses several times, but if I leave them on the drainer to drip dry then I sometimes get a residue on them that I can only assume is a mineral deposit on the glass, particularly the bottom third. This from my observations destroys the head.
What I do now is before pouring a drink I will rinse the inside of the glass and then use kitchen paper to dry it thoroughly.

What happens with yours if you pour a second beer.
If I'm in a lazy mood and don't do the rinse and kitchen paper thing, I find the second pint keeps a good head.....presumable because the mineral residue has departed with the first beer.

You're not helping... you're just rubbing it in :lol: :lol:

yes I apologise

if it helps .....

we all get them.

I've brewed several beer kits over the last couple of years, some using bottled water and some using tap water.

We live in a hard water area and in my experience I always get a decent head (which lasts) when using bottled water, however when using untreated tap water it can result in a poor head.

Just a thought (and I'm no expert) but perhaps the problem is in the type of water you're brewing with, as much as anything else?

I think you will have to move south to Essex area and be happy with flat beer...... :shock:

Me and the missus were sharing a bottle of home brew and both used a stella glass with a nucleated base. Mine kept the head all the way to the bottom, but hers lost it nearly straight away. She said it was because she had lip balm on ( I knew she wasn't just a pretty face ....... especially after a few beers :lol: ) so that may help lads ..... don't eat greasy food with your beer ( crisps or nuts) and stop wearing lip stick :D

:cheers:

Have you tried not wiping them dry? If there is any grease on your cloth then it'll be buggering up the activator. You can get renovate power for dishwashers that cleans all the grease from your dish washer and the glasses but to be honest I dont bother anymore.

Hot water, leave to air dry and it should work like a charm. :thumb:

D

I've just started using a brand new microfiber cloth. Doesn't seem to make much difference. And yep, I've been Washington out with very hot water and drip drying... no luck :(

Latest posts

Back