Cleaning beer glass.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know what is going on with my glass some nights the beer has a good head that stays and the next it disappears in 30 seconds (using the same beer as a test) it never goes in the washing up with detergent as i have read that can be a cause so it's a rinse out with hot water and dried with kitchen towel.

Have any members had the same problem and if yes how did you sort it?

I use fairy liquid, clean with a sponge I only use for cleaning glasses (I think that's key to ensure there's no oils etc), rinse thoroughly, spray with a bit of sanitiser, rinse again. No issues with head retention and certainly clean glasses (no nucleation on the side of the glass).

One of the Malt Miller videos at Budvar has a bit of glass cleaning which I've followed since watching.

I have two microfibre cloths (one for cleaning and for drying) always hand wash separate from other washing up. Use fairy but then rinse and dry.
I had been getting bubbles on the side of the glass when using dishwasher and this has solved the problem

I use fairy liquid, clean with a sponge I only use for cleaning glasses (I think that's key to ensure there's no oils etc), rinse thoroughly, spray with a bit of sanitiser, rinse again. No issues with head retention and certainly clean glasses (no nucleation on the side of the glass).
Why spray the glasses with sanitiser?

In the video I mention they dunk it in a sink of sanisitser as part of their process so I'm doing similar. Probably isn't needed in a home setting.
Yeah. I'm just curious as to what it achieves. Whether it be sanitising (I don't see the need), or it helps remove the detergent, or something else, or its a placebo. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah. I'm just curious as to what it achieves. Whether it be sanitising (I don't see the need), or it helps remove the detergent, or something else, or its a placebo. 🤷‍♂️

I will try without and report back.

Having had a Google looks like it may just be a food safety requirement (in the US at least) to ensure there's no e.coli living on the glass.

How do you clean them Chippy? Dishwasher, or hand wash?
Hand wash, (don't have a dishwasher) SWMBO was putting it in the washing up then rinsing i assume as has been said grease or something was coating the glass and destroying the head, last night i put very hot water in the glass and used a clean bottle brush to give it a good scrub i then dried with a clean cloth, last nights TT landlord was a totally different experience i will be brushing from now on ;)

My suspicions confirmed! I usually rinse my beer glass in hot water and dry. This morning the current mrs R, washed my beer glass in soapy water, dried etc and the resultant beer on the go (a little Pilsner number) went head flat before my eyes!
Hot water for here on in

Clean glass with vwp then rinse pour beer. Do not get fingers in glass after rinsed. Guarantee
How much VMP do you use?

I tried hot water and half a steradent tablet today, gave it a good brush with the bottle brush and the glass is crystal clear, i will find out if it did the job later.

Back