Cleaning fermenter after infection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been brewing over a decade and only had two infections. Both within the last three years. I did not take any chances and cleaned EVERYTHING with bleach. You have no way of knowing where the infection started and if it spread.

Moving forward, I recommend cleaning all equipment quite quickly after use and cleaning it well. Don't take shortcuts. Spend the time to do it well.

Moving forward, I recommend cleaning all equipment quite quickly after use and cleaning it well. Don't take shortcuts. Spend the time to do it well.
I'm fortunate that I've never had an infection. I clean all equipment thoroughly straight after use and it's clean, dry and stored by bedtime on brewday. It's so much easier to clean when it's still wet. Dried on sticky mash residue crystallises, is a bugger to clean and an ideal growth medium for all sorts of things

Then I decent sanitising before use.

It's never (🤞) let me down.

I was a bit surprised to hear people put kit away dirty and clean it next brewday

I will sometimes leave things a day or two before cleaning but those are vessels that are under pressure. I figure those are less likely to get infected. My logic could be off though.

I'm fortunate that I've never had an infection. I clean all equipment thoroughly straight after use and it's clean, dry and stored by bedtime on brewday. It's so much easier to clean when it's still wet. Dried on sticky mash residue crystallises, is a bugger to clean and an ideal growth medium for all sorts of things

Absolutely agree.

Although I store wet & sealed and don't have single brewdays anymore.😀😀
But they are my choices.

I will sometimes leave things a day or two before cleaning but those are vessels that are under pressure. I figure those are less likely to get infected. My logic could be off though.
Now that is scary. You are potentially cleaning away an infection every time.

Latest posts

Back