Cleaning grain bags & hopsocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwiseman77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Any advice or tips on cleaning grain bags or hop socks? I soak them, squeeze them, put them through the washing machine. Can never seem to get all the wee bits of grain out

Admittedly I'm only 2 AG brew's down the line, but I don't get all the fussy about removing every last bit, a good washout of the bag when it's finished, hung up to dry and then packed away for use in another couple of weeks.

:pray: that no-one now posts against this and tells me I'm risking all sorts of nasty off flavours!

I used to work in a 3 rosette kitchen some years ago, and we used to use muslin 2-3 times a day for straining various things (stocks, jus, soup, etc). We always just soaked the muslin in warm soapy water for about 20 minutes immediately after use, then got our hands in the sink and gave it a good swirl and swill. Never had any problems with it, and that was using the same cloths again and again in a food environment. For my hop bags i just do this, then ring them out and rinse them, and boil them in water before next use.

I guess next time i use them they'll be going through the boil anyway so no chance of carrying infection. And the tiny specks of grain husks etc... are hardly likely to carry over any tannins etc... Will try not to worry too much just like to improve my procedures as much as I can, and when there's so much useful and free information on this forum, why not use it :)

the missus cleans mine whilst I see to the boil, she turns it inside out, gives it a good rinse to get the thickest off then hangs on the line and when dry the leftover bits just shake off.

I use a piece of voile rather than a sown bag. I just rinse off the worst of the grains and then put it in the washing machine. Comes out spotless.

I usually turn mine inside out and rinse in a bowl of warm water then put through the next wash, dry and then shake any leftover bits outside but i don't worry too much about getting every last bit. Just like I don't worry about the santising my mash tun / boiler I just give them a quick rinse before I use them then good wipe over and rinse through after use. With the boil everything has to go through I doubt anything nasty could survive (and it hasn't yet).

Latest posts

Back