Cleaning Regime

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hello,

It's suprising how much equipment there is to clean up! I'd like to see if any of you having a cleaning regime to help speed this up?

Additionally, a few questions:

(1) Is it okay to clean with something like PBW at the end of a brew day ready for next time and then simply sanitise with something like StarSan on the new brew day? Or could this cause problems? At the moment I'm planning on cleaning at the end of one brew day and at the start of another but these seems like a lot of work! Perhaps just rinse the items with water on the next brew day before the sanitiser application to avoid any (unexpected) materials (dust etc).

(2) Some chemicals such as PBW call for rinsing after cleaning. Does this have to be fresh water or is it okay to fill a container with water and splash each item in here after using the cleaner? At the moment I'm struggling to rinse the fermenters in the sink and so using a bigger bucket could solve this issue.

Yes - I've just spent a good few hours and only got half of my gear cleaned :doh: There has to be a better way!

Thank you.

EDIT: (3) Can I dry with a tea towel etc? Or must everything air dry? Suprising how much stuff is currently sat on (clean) tea towels on the kitchen floor because I've run out of work top space... And they still have droplets on! I think they'll be left out over night...

Hlt just get emptied.
M/t emptied then rinsed with water.
Boiler scrub element with scourer using wort (comes up like new) then emptied and rinsed with water.
Dried with paper towel.

Used next time with no rinsing etc. Unless its over a month of so, then I run 1 lot of water through.

Fv gets emptied then rinsed with water and soft brush then sprayed with videne and dried.

Bits and pieces like spoon, syphon, jug etc get a rinsing then dunked in videne and then left on bottle tree to dry.

And for rinsing I have a tap connector with pvc tubing attached to kitchen sink tap.

Latest posts

Back