clear beer bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Why do many commercial brews come bottled in clear glass - we as home brewers bottle in dark glass to avoid skunking so how come i see loads of ales for sale in clear bottles?

:hmm: i`ve been meaning to ask this for ages.

Some breweries allow the marketeers to tell them what to bottle in, after all an advertising executive knows so much about beer and how to keep it :roll:

rickthebrew said:
so if isomerised hops aren`t used then we get sold potentially duff beer?
The problem is that we have been exposed to this for so long that how would we tell the difference between a fresh bottle that was not skunked and one that had been sat awhile and was well and truly skunked?

And it also affects beer in Green Bottles too!

We did a test at the CBA where we bottled the same beer in clear and brown bottles, then left a representative sample of both in the sun for an hour . . . then cooled and served . . . people had no trouble telling which was which in a blind taste test. . . . . It was a harder test to distinguish between Beer in Brown Bottles exposed to the sun and those left in the dark.

Aleman said:
We did a test at the CBA where we bottled the same beer in clear and brown bottles, then left a representative sample of both in the sun for an hour . . . then cooled and served . . . people had no trouble telling which was which in a blind taste test
OMG, the difference is noticeable in that short a time? :eek:

I always like to use 2 or 3 clear bottles for each of my brews, just so I can see how it is clearing. They would then spend 5-7 days on the kitchen worktop, but not in direct sunlight, and then go down my cellar, which only has a fluorescent striplight. Is the damage already done? I suppose I ought to get Mrs. Mole to pour one from a clear bottle and one from a brown so I can try my own blind taste test.

Latest posts

Back