Clearing (after adding finings) question...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Stable

Reaction score
I'm making my first wine (from a kit, so following their instructions). I've added the stabilizer and then (the next day) added finings to let the wine clear, which is doing the trick.

My question is: Can i now remove the airlock (as it doesn't seem to be glubbing anymore) to use for making a 3rd batch (I have 2 airlocks. One in use on this one, and another on a red that I started last week.)
I want to have a go at making a WOW, and now have all the ingredients, but lack a 3rd airlock.

Is it safe to remove it (and bung the DJ with a cork), or should I be patient and wait until racking?

Thanks in advance :)

If you watched it long enough you would see an occasional bubble so bunging it is not a good idea, you could start your WOW off and put a balloon with a couple of small pin holes in it over the DJ neck, this will act as a one way valve until your air lock is free to use again.

I guess this guy forgot to put the holes in it. :lol:

15andbythistimeitlookslqv9.jpg

Any remaining CO2 coming out of the wine could cause a pressure build up if the DJ is corked. If it's a plastic DJ then there shouldn't be a problem but the glass ones don't like any pressure at all.

Great advice, Thanks guys :)
I shall wait a while.

(Or a 3rd option that I hadn't thought about until just now.. Go buy another airlock!) :D

I assumed you couldnt get hold of another air lock at short notice, that's why i suggested the balloon method. :thumb:

Well, it does involve getting dressed and going outside :D And convincing the wife that I need "Just one more thing for my Home Brew kit..."

Back