Clearing cider after fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just had my first crack at making some cider. The Juice came from a couple of apple trees we have in the back garden. I used my father in law's Champion juicer which left a lot of particulates in the juice and unlike other juicers i've used these showed no signs of settling out even after a couple of hours. I passed the juice though fine mesh sieves and a muslin but it remained stubbornly cloudy. In my excitement I forgot to add the pectolase that I purchased, which I guess might have helped.

It is now fermenting away vigorously and hopefully I'll end up with something drinkable.

Anyway, is it possible to add pectolase after fermentation has completed? I'm not looking for a crystal clear cider and I know that conditioning time will have the greatest effect but at the moment it looks more like leek and potato soup than cider.

I'd bung in the pectolase now, the longer it's in, the better effect it will have I would have thought

When I've made cider from supermarket AJ, it's always cloudy when I bottle it (straw coloured opaque), but goes crystal clear after about a week in the bottle when conditioning

I've just had my first crack at making some cider. The Juice came from a couple of apple trees we have in the back garden. I used my father in law's Champion juicer which left a lot of particulates in the juice and unlike other juicers i've used these showed no signs of settling out even after a couple of hours. I passed the juice though fine mesh sieves and a muslin but it remained stubbornly cloudy. In my excitement I forgot to add the pectolase that I purchased, which I guess might have helped.

It is now fermenting away vigorously and hopefully I'll end up with something drinkable.

Anyway, is it possible to add pectolase after fermentation has completed? I'm not looking for a crystal clear cider and I know that conditioning time will have the greatest effect but at the moment it looks more like leek and potato soup than cider.

real cider is cloudy and not fizzy anyway! just tell everyone you wanted to make traditional stuff!

Back