Cloudy hazy beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonB1510

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed my first batch of beers recently and was excited to open the first beer with the old man today, only to find that when I poured it out, it was pretty cloudy.

I followed all Insructions and fermented the beer for nearly 2 weeks until there was no more yeast action or bubbling on the airlock, then I syphoned in to a secondary fermenter bottling bucket, and then bottled it for 2 weeks.

If I leave it for longer do you think it will get less cloudy, or should I shake the bottle a bit and see if that helps, or would putting it in the fridge help clear it?

Or could I have just mucked up somewhere and it's a duff batch?!

Cheers

Yes when I opened it there was a fizz and it did have a fizz. I carbonated it by putting half a tea spoon of sugar in each bottle before I poured the beer in. Thanks for the advice. 👍🏻

They all clear eventually and cool can help, or make it worse by forming a chill haze. I was going to say you could put a bottle or two outside in a box somewhere overnight but it's so cold it might freeze.

Definitely don't shake it because what has settled to the bottom will get mixed up back into the beer. Pouring the bottles is a bit of an art. If you do it held up to the light then you'll see when the trub on the bottom starts to reach the neck. That's when you stop pouring so you don't get it in your glass.

Latest posts

Back