co²

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghb

Regular.
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether you can use fire extinguisher co² for yer kegs or does it have a lower purity which makes it unusable?
I've been trying to find a place local that can do refills but I can only find the likes of liquid air who want me to take out a contract and pay a large deposit on another bottle. They wont refill my own.
A young lad that works in a fire extinguisher place has said it's not the same as food stuff. I can't see how co² can be anything other than co² unless it's not as pure and therefore likely to contaminate the beer/food.
Is it the same?
Does anyone use extinguisher gas?

ta!

Can anyone confirm whether you can use fire extinguisher co² for yer kegs or does it have a lower purity which makes it unusable?
I've been trying to find a place local that can do refills but I can only find the likes of liquid air who want me to take out a contract and pay a large deposit on another bottle. They wont refill my own.
A young lad that works in a fire extinguisher place has said it's not the same as food stuff. I can't see how co² can be anything other than co² unless it's not as pure and therefore likely to contaminate the beer/food.
Is it the same?
Does anyone use extinguisher gas?

ta!
There have been a number of discussions about this. Co2 is co2. What differs is the type of container it is in, and how they have been filled ie from a food safe source or an industrial one. From a food safe source you can be as sure as you can it is pure co2, from an industrial source one report I have seen (and it is on here somewhere) quoted how much and how many contaminants were found in supposedly pure co2 cylinders.

People have and do use extinguishers. The choice is yours....

That's pretty much what I thought, What's the worst that could happen? I lose a few litres of beer if I have to bin it.

Latest posts

Back