CO2 Bulbs vs "L30" Cylinders?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KneeDownMarce

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched this forum and a number of homebrew supplier web sites, but can't find the answer to a couple of questions. I'm a newbie and would really appreciate a word of advice from those more knowledgeable than me!

1. With a pinless S30 valve fitted to my 5l plastic keg, what Co2 bulbs can I use? (ie 12g, 16g, 25g, etc) and do I need threaded or non threaded?
  2. If I bought a L30 co2 cylinder instead of bulbs, how exactly do you use it? I mean, do I need additional valves and tubes to connect it, or does it simply screw on to the S30 pinless valve in the keg's cap - sort of like a massive Co2 bulb?

Thanks for any advice or guidance. :-)

Kr,
Marcel

Here's how you use an S/L30 cylinder:

You can also get an adapter for Sodastream bottles which might be easier to find and do refills on

Hi Drunkula,

Thanks for the reply and the video links - I completely over-looked youtube in my quest for knowledge... how last decade! :-)

I'll do a bit more research to find out locally how easy it will be to refill either the L30 cylinders or the sodastream ones (and where to get a sodastream adapter from).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

All the best,

Marcel.

I wanted to work out prices and availability for me (Aberdeen), so here is what I found today:

425g (60L) Sodastream bottle........New £19.99 The Range..........................£4.70 / 100g
425g............................................... refill £12.99 The Range..........................£3.06 / 100g
........................................................refill £14.99 Argos..................................£3.53 / 100g
240g S30 Hambleton Bard bottle ..New £21.99 Aberdeen Homebrew.........£9.16 / 100g
240g ...............................................Refill £7.50............................................£3.13 / 100g

8g x 10 Sparklets bulbs..................New £ 3.99 Aberdeen Homebrew.........£4.99 / 100g

So 60L sodastream bottles are just cheaper by 7p/100g for refills, but I would still support my HBS for the sake of 7p, and I seem to be going there more frequently now. :D

Would be interested to know prices of pub bottles form those that have them, with new cost & refills, and any other details like yearly contracts to see how they compare.

I wanted to work out prices and availability for me (Aberdeen), so here is what I found today:

425g (60L) Sodastream bottle........New £19.99 The Range..........................£4.70 / 100g
425g............................................... refill £12.99 The Range..........................£3.06 / 100g
........................................................refill £14.99 Argos..................................£3.53 / 100g
240g S30 Hambleton Bard bottle ..New £21.99 Aberdeen Homebrew.........£9.16 / 100g
240g ...............................................Refill £7.50............................................£3.13 / 100g

8g x 10 Sparklets bulbs..................New £ 3.99 Aberdeen Homebrew.........£4.99 / 100g

So 60L sodastream bottles are just cheaper by 7p/100g for refills, but I would still support my HBS for the sake of 7p, and I seem to be going there more frequently now. :D

Would be interested to know prices of pub bottles form those that have them, with new cost & refills, and any other details like yearly contracts to see how they compare.

Got my "pub" bottle from an Adams Gas stockist. You put a deposit down on the cylinder which you can get back if ever you decide you don't want it any more, that's about £65. There's no rent.

Gas itself is around £25 for 6.35 kg so less than 40p per 100g. You can see why these cylinders offer so much better value than Sodastream, S30 and bulbs. Makes force carbonation a much more attractive proposition.

Sodastream replacement is £14.99 and one lasts me for +/- 6 months to keep 2 Growlers under 5psi and top-up the pressure on a variety of 10 and 25 litre PB’s. (I use SS Schrader valves and the end of an old bike pump for the PB’s.)

Sodastream replacements available at thousands of places in UK.

Latest posts

Back