CO2 loss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clwydianrange

Reaction score
Morning brewers could I seek a bit of advice please. I’m setting up my mangrove kegerator and decided to check for gas loss. I connected all as per videos and installed a corny keg. I then took the pressure up to 22psi and shut down the gas bottle. After one hour the pressure dropped to 20psi then settled down and over the next 15 hours it dropped to 19psi. To me this seems acceptable but could someone confirm this for me please. I did spray the joints with a sanitise solution and could see no bubbles.

thanks

keith.

It’ll be the liquid absorbing the CO2. With your bottle shut off there will be no CO2 going in to replace it.

Thanks for the quick reply Mick but I should have stated that the corny was empty, I’m just checking for CO2 loss before I put the beer in. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on this.

keith.

Is the corny being stored somewhere cold, pressure will increase at higher temperatures and decrease at lower ones (hoping I have got that the right way round but regardless temperature will impact on pressure).

Yes the corny is in the kegerator at about 5 degrees. That could be it then, thanks.

keith
If there's a leak then it'll probably drain completely, or until the pressure isn't enough to force open the leak gap. If it's just cold then it'll stabilise. I'd leave it for a day or so to make sure it's the cold.

Spray or immerse all joints you can in water or use soapy water.
You could pressure that keg higher than 20 psi and immerse it in the bath still attached and then detach. See bubbles and see a leak.
If no leaks there then its either your gauge end to gas pipe or the gauge to cylinder. If the gauge is pressured and disconnected at the ball lock if pressure drops then leak is in that part ie cylinder join or gas exiting the gauge.
Nice and easy on a simple system.

Back