co2 or mixed gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwest1

Landlord.
Reaction score
i have been offered a tank full of what ever i want from my local pub
my question is do i want co2 or a mixed gas i only drink ale/bitter so whats best for me

also what type of beer tep do i need ,are larger and bitter taps different

can i convert my plastic kegs to use or do i need cornies only

cheers guys

darrenwest1 said:
i have been offered a tank full of what ever i want from my local pub

Cool

darrenwest1 said:
my question is do i want co2 or a mixed gas i only drink ale/bitter so whats best for me

c02 is what you want, mixed is for the creamflow type stuff i believe that and stouts

darrenwest1 said:
also what type of beer tep do i need ,are larger and bitter taps different can i convert my plastic kegs to use or do i need cornies only

You really want a cornie or 6 :cool: you can get the taps from Norm (see links) same for lager/bitter - you can even hook them up to a beer engine if you want.

what gas you get depends on what you want from your beer, Nitrogen CO2 Mix will give you a guiness/cafferys or carling premier type of beer, co2 only will give you Keg style beer.

The choice is yours.

Shane

so co2 it is then
as for taps is there a difference between them
i just cant afford cornies at the moment
why couldnt i adapt a pressure keg to fit

darrenwest1 said:
so co2 it is then
as for taps is there a difference between them
i just cant afford cornies at the moment
why couldnt i adapt a pressure keg to fit

As long as you're only using the CO2 for dispense then you can, just use a "universal barrel hose" (assuming you have lids with S30 valves).

You will not be able to use it with a pressure barrel for force carbonation. The barrels are only designed to take 10 psi MAXIMUM.

Agree with the previous posters, C02. Mixed gas is for smoothflow and stouts. Now that you have a supply of C02, you need a cornie keg or 10! :)

jamesb said:
You will not be able to use it with a pressure barrel for force carbonation. The barrels are only designed to take 10 psi MAXIMUM.

Slight hijack, soz :whistle:
What is the best pressure to force carbonate a corny keg? I normally use around 20psi, is this the norm??
John

BarnsleyBrewer said:
What is the best pressure to force carbonate a corny keg? I normally use around 20psi, is this the norm??
It depends . . .
On how much CO2 you want in the beer . . .
What the temperature of the beer is . . . .

and how much of a hurry you are in :lol:

On the UK Homebrew site there is a spreadsheet that tells you what pressure you need to set to achieve x Vols of CO2 at y Temperature ( I think you have to be a member to view it . . . I can supply formulae if EB would like to add it to the calculators ;) )

So if f you keep your beer at 12C and you want to carbonate your ale to 1.5Vols of CO2 (On the fizzy side for ale IMHO) then you set 6psi on the reg . . . when it reaches equilibrium you are all set . . . . You can shake the keg to help it achieve this.

If you are in a hurry . . . Set the reg to 20 or 30 psi and shake the blazes out of it for 30-45 seconds . . . try it if its not fizzy enough . . . repeat for another 30 seconds . . . then turn the reg back to the normal carbonating pressure

FOr those of you that prefer to do the calculation in you head here is the formula

Code:
Pressure (P), Volume of CO2 (V), Temperature - Fahrenheit (T)

P = -16.6999 - (0.0101059*T) + (0.00116541 * T^2) + (0.173354 *(T*V) + (4.24267*V)-(0.0684226*V^2)

Aleman said:
Code:
Pressure (P), Volume of CO2 (V), Temperature - Fahrenheit (T)

P = -16.6999 - (0.0101059*T) + (0.00116541 * T^2) + (0.173354 *(T*V) + (4.24267*V)-(0.0684226*V^2)

When I was in school, we always got told to show our working. How was that derived? :P

(I do have the info, but it might be handy to have it on the forum)

Latest posts

Back