Idaho 7 cryo NEIPa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
Did a NEIPA with the same grain and water bill but using citra, mosaic, galaxy and 100g of cryo pop hops. This time I’m using eldorado, citra, galaxy and 100g of cryo Idaho 7 hops. Hoping for more of the same as last time but hopefuly even more fruity with the Idaho 7 in place of cryo pop. Any comments on the recipe? Not used Idaho7 or El-Dorado before so just went with the same ratio as last time.

Attachments

• Cryo Idaho 7 NEIPA.pdf
    865.1 KB · Views: 0
Did a NEIPA with the same grain and water bill but using citra, mosaic, galaxy and 100g of cryo pop hops. This time I’m using eldorado, citra, galaxy and 100g of cryo Idaho 7 hops. Hoping for more of the same as last time but hopefuly even more fruity with the Idaho 7 in place of cryo pop. Any comments on the recipe? Not used Idaho7 or El-Dorado before so just went with the same ratio as last time.

I don't know how your last batch came out, but I'm surprised to see such large quantities of Vienna and Caramalt in your grain bill. If it was me I'd leave both of them out and up the amounts of pale malt, oats and wheat to compensate.

Other than that the recipe looks fine.

I don't know how your last batch came out, but I'm surprised to see such large quantities of Vienna and Caramalt in your grain bill. If it was me I'd leave both of them out and up the amounts of pale malt, oats and wheat to compensate.

Other than that the recipe looks fine.
Vienna in small quantities like that can be quite good in a NEIPA - doesn’t impart much extra malty flavour but can help bring out a lovely pale orange colour.

I’ve never used caramalt though.

I like some first wort hops in my NEIPA’s. Think around 30 IBU’s of bitterness in a neipa is good. I hate super sweet sickly neipias and like a touch of bitterness, though you do get some perceived bitterness from dry hopping, I always go heavy on the dry hops.

Grain bill for me is a mix of pale ale marris otter and golden promise for colour. Then wheat and oats. Nothing thats going to impart much or any malt flavour.

But Idaho 7 is a lovely hop. Can’t go far wrong with it. My current favourite neipa recipe uses 50% Idaho 7, 30% galaxy and 20% citra, about 35 IBU’s and turns out very nice.

Vienna in small quantities like that can be quite good in a NEIPA - doesn’t impart much extra malty flavour but can help bring out a lovely pale orange colour.

That's a trick I use with NEIPAs. Works really well.

Idaho7 really sings in the whirlpool as it's full of "survivables" - see this article for more details, although YCH have pulled the original images linked in there :
https://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/

But it is still available here :
https://web.archive.org/web/2022120...hief.com/docs/Survivable-Compounds-Poster.pdf
1714574233891.png

+1 to a bit of early bittering, I think NEIPAs need bitterness to balance everything else. Likewise I'm not a big fan of lactose, and I would agree with the general thought that in general it's better to simplify recipes than to add more complexity to them.

Do you find any benefit to using the Cryo pop hop blends to standard pelleted hops? I've not come across these before.

Sorry for the late reply! This is the 2nd time I've used them and the beer is just cold crashing now - the 1st time made easily the best and hopiest beer Ive ever done! I dont drink enough to try a side by side and brew with and without but it certainly made that beer pop!

Idaho7 really sings in the whirlpool as it's full of "survivables" - see this article for more details, although YCH have pulled the original images linked in there :
https://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/

But it is still available here :
https://web.archive.org/web/2022120...hief.com/docs/Survivable-Compounds-Poster.pdf
View attachment 98936

+1 to a bit of early bittering, I think NEIPAs need bitterness to balance everything else. Likewise I'm not a big fan of lactose, and I would agree with the general thought that in general it's better to simplify recipes than to add more complexity to them.
Good news on the Idaho then, as noted above, beer is cold crashing so might pull a sample at the weekend! - Probably for my next NEIPA I might simplify the grain bill and remove the lactose, not really sure 100g adds much anyway. I think this time I forgot to add Vienna malt, it seems very pale, I usually add some, as noted to get that orang colour.

Just had a NEIPA with a small amount of T50 Crystal in in it. Presumably just enough for colour. It was excellent. Burnt Mill Fog Catcher. Will definitely be trying that in future.

Back