co2 regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJT

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently bought a regulator as I am just starting to keg. I need some assistance as to what I should buy for the gas line to fit on to it?

The gas out part of the regulator has a ribbed end. I want to use a splitter and a check/stop valve. Should I just buy some clear tubing and attach and clamp it to the ribbed end and then add the check valve and splitter? If so what size of tubing in relation to the size of the ribbed end? Slightly smaller and then force on? I assume John guest fittings are recommended?

Also on the back of the regulator there is wire and a grey plastic tag that has co2? What is this for? To just indicate it's a co2 regulator?

Sorry for the amateur questions but any advice will be very welcome.

Cheers
Andy

IMG_20150415_204841.jpg

IMG_20150415_204527.jpg

IMG_20150415_204829.jpg

you want to use 3/8" gas line your local hbs should stock it, if not ebay or our local hbs is online and sell it as well as all the jg fittings checkvalves etc @ stonehelm.co.uk wanky name , sound folk.. email or phone em for advice top people friendly and will suffer fools like me gladly..

the gas line is also used for beer so if u have ldpe 3/8" beerline you have gas line ;)

check the thread against this wikipedia table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe#Pipe_thread_sizes to confirm but i suspect its a 3/8" bsp thread??? but i could be wrong??

to attach the gas line to the reg you can use either a JG fitting or a hosetail 3/8" gas line is measured by its outside diameter, its inside diameter is 1/4" so a 1/4" hosetail fitting secured with a jubilee clip might be easier/cheaper to fit its what i use to connect my welders reg to the gasline..

you want the proper gas line as it will take the pressure bog standard 3/8" pvc siphon tube may work at low pressures but i wouldnt trust it..

yes the co2 label is just an identifying label as different gasses need specific regulators..

hope that helps..

****** Its important that you chain your gas bottle to the wall, its a top heavy Heavy object, gas line is pretty rigid and all an unsecured bottle of gas needs is a slight tub and its gonna fall over, and its guaranteed to fall on the regulator busting a gauge ;)

Can you confirm if the ribbed fitting is a thread or just ribbed as cannot quite see for sure from the photo. If it is a thread then even if you clamp a tube over it may leak gas via the thread groove.
Also what is the diameter of the ribbed bit?

Thank you for the replies.

I have checked and it appears to be a thread and not just ribbed. The inside diameter is 3/16 and the outer (to the edge of the thread) is 7/16. What do you guys recommend. I have looked at stonehelm and fairly confused. I ideally want a JG connector than will then be push fit to make it easier

Cheers

so the major diameter of the thread is 7/16" or in metric circa 11mm??
outside of the thread to outside of the thread? mm thats not matching anything on the wikipedia bsp table?

do you have a local plumbers merchants? if so take it down and try finger winding on a few standard thread fittings to see what fits??

can you measure the minor diameter too (inside thread to inside thread)
and im mm too please imperial measurements dont gel with me.. except for lengths n widths for timber n sheet materials ;)

will that bit unscrew? perhaps its got a more standard thread underneath?

in my very limited experience regulators tend to have 1/8" 1/4" or 3/8" bsp threads to connect??

when you have sussed out the thread to connect ring up Stephan at stonehelm if you cant find the bits on the site.. last time i was in contact with them he was in on a friday and saturday, he is their guru..

so the major diameter of the thread is 7/16" or in metric circa 11mm??
outside of the thread to outside of the thread? mm thats not matching anything on the wikipedia bsp table?

do you have a local plumbers merchants? if so take it down and try finger winding on a few standard thread fittings to see what fits??

can you measure the minor diameter too (inside thread to inside thread)
and im mm too please imperial measurements dont gel with me.. except for lengths n widths for timber n sheet materials ;)

will that bit unscrew? perhaps its got a more standard thread underneath?

in my very limited experience regulators tend to have 1/8" 1/4" or 3/8" bsp threads to connect??

when you have sussed out the thread to connect ring up Stephan at stonehelm if you cant find the bits on the site.. last time i was in contact with them he was in on a friday and saturday, he is their guru..
If its 7/16 and it measures approx 11mm it is unf not bsp
Regards Steve

If its 7/16 and it measures approx 11mm it is unf not bsp
Regards Steve

Cheers

I found the below info. So am I looking for a 1/4 bsp fitting to 3/8 John guest speedfit or does it not work like that? Sorry this is all new to me.

Screenshot_2015-04-17-20-18-12.png

I have found this, is this the best option and I can then use other JG fittings as required?

Screenshot_2015-04-17-20-30-27.png

once you have the fitting to the reg sorted, looks like stevej has identified the thread, yes its a simple matter of 3/8" jg fittings all the way to the keg.

when cutting the tube use a very sharp knife and cut square, scissors may seem like a good idea but they will squash and not cut square and for a good seal its important to cut square and push all the way home.

going by this table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

its a 7/16 unf, which is the same as a corny disconnect thread iirc ;)

so the bit linked to by dads_ale above is the animal you want..

fingers crossed ;)

Thank you everyone.

I have sent stonehelm an email with the photo just to be sure its the correct fitting but I wouldn't have found it without dads_ales help.

Brewing tomorrow for the first time in 4 months. Can't wait!!

Thank you everyone.

I have sent stonehelm an email with the photo just to be sure its the correct fitting but I wouldn't have found it without dads_ales help.

Brewing tomorrow for the first time in 4 months. Can't wait!!

Always glad to help. Hope it is what you need. I have found the world of threads will easily have you bashing your head against the wall. For my classic motorbike rebuilds I built up a selection of different thread bolts and nuts just to use as comparisons.

Good luck with you brew and fingers crossed for your gas system :-)

Latest posts

Back