Cold crash a porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a quickie... Is there any reason to cold crash a porter or stout? I was just wondering if I should floc out a bit of yeast before bottling?

I am currently brewing a porter for the first time, and wasn't going to cold crash as I can't see why it would need it. I could be wrong though....

I'm thinking of just crashing out some yeast and other bit of protein etc. I was thinking that just because it's a dark beer, it shouldn't be cloudy, you can hold them to the light and see a nice dark red hue around the edges.
Also I think I can taste yeast in beer that haven't been cc'd, and you get all that sediment in the bottle.
One more thing, it'll be sitting on cacao nibs for a few weeks so I might as well.

If you're planning on bottling then yes, you'll end up with less trub in the bottles if nothing else. Also, if you're going to reuse the yeast it'll get the less flocculant yeast out of suspension which (I think, could be remembering wrong) reduces the chances of the next beer not fully attenuating.

I tend to cold crash everything now, regardless of style. I think it's more force of habit than anything though!

Latest posts

Back