Cold crash and after conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, so my first kit brew in a pressure fermenter (King Keg 30ltr Chubby) is just about finished fermenting.
Firstly! Do I cold crash it? ( the only manufacturers recommendations are to cold crash if you keg it! around 4 degrees C ) and will it help clear my brew?
Secondly! What temp do I leave the brew to condition after cold crashing?

Hi, so my first kit brew in a pressure fermenter (King Keg 30ltr Chubby) is just about finished fermenting.
Firstly! Do I cold crash it? ( the only manufacturers recommendations are to cold crash if you keg it! around 4 degrees C ) and will it help clear my brew?
Secondly! What temp do I leave the brew to condition after cold crashing?
Cold crashing does help to clear the brew as it stops any further fermentation but its not essential. I find it most useful if I'm transferring to a corny keg to carbonate as the cold beer will absorb CO2 better.

Unfortunately the word 'conditioning' is used to mean two different things. It sometimes means carbonate which won't apply here as you have pressure fermented and I assume it is still under pressure. The other use of condition is for the beer to mature. Apart from lagers where you mature them really cold I've never worried about temperature here. I just put the bottles where there is room to store them. I'd put your Chubby somewhere (fridge ?) so it will be at serving temperature ready to pour.

Back