Cold step mash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First AG brew planned for the weekend... And having read and watched loads of guides, I've been thrown by the kit instructions! This says start the mash at 20c? So I mash in at only 20c, set the temp to ramp up to 66c, hold for 10, then increase again? Max mash time is then the ramp times +10+20+10? I can set the power on the AIO - so surely this would significantly impact the mash time as that ramp will be fast or slow depending on if I got for 1000 or 2000W??
Everything I have read is a simple strike temp plus 60 min steady mash!
Any guidance or tips? I have a Klarstein so can set the program to ramp like this - that's easy. Just want to be sure I'm interpreting it right.

Attachments

• PXL_20230203_181108481.jpg
    PXL_20230203_181108481.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
That doesn't seem right. I don't believe there are any enzymes which favour that temperature.

Are you making an Italian Pils, by chance? If not ignore the rest.

A protein rest at 50°c might be used, but I'm not sure Weyermann Eraclea needs it, as it's well-modified.

This suggests 40 mins @ 62, 40 mins a 72°, and 10 mins at 77°

https://homebrewingdiy.beer/index.php/2021/07/06/deep-dive-on-brewing-italian-pilsners/
Can you contact the seller for clarification?

Yeah either start at 40 or 50c, never heard 20c before either.

I would just mash at 66c for an hour then do a mashout at 78c for 10 min though.

First AG brew planned for the weekend... And having read and watched loads of guides, I've been thrown by the kit instructions! This says start the mash at 20c? So I mash in at only 20c, set the temp to ramp up to 66c, hold for 10, then increase again? Max mash time is then the ramp times +10+20+10? I can set the power on the AIO - so surely this would significantly impact the mash time as that ramp will be fast or slow depending on if I got for 1000 or 2000W??
Any guidance or tips? I have a Klarstein so can set the program to ramp like this - that's easy. Just want to be sure I'm interpreting it right.
As it is an under modified malt I would go as per instructions.
https://byo.com/article/the-science-of-step-mashing/

Interesting recipe too, that's a lot of caramunich for an Italian pils. Here is a read, I think the general rule of thumb is 1-5% caramunich for Italian pilsners.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2020/5/26/more-to-italian-pilsners
Foxy I don't think eraclea is undermodifed? I could be wrong though.
I had never even heard of it to be honest, if it hadn't have been (under modified) would have been puzzling as to why dough in at 20C. But is slightly under modified so I am presuming whoever designed the recipe knew what he was doing. I just wonder how long it is going to take to ramp up between temperatures?

Almost look like one of Brewdogs infamously error-riddled recipes, probably a hung-over proof-reader!

Latest posts

Back