SO-4 issue?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeamer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brewed a David Heath dark mild on Sunday with no issues (getting the process right) however:
1) My inkbird had packed up. It's still keeping the temp at 20c but I'm unable to change it as I should have fermented this one at 18c for 10 days and then ramped up to 21c. I've tried turning it off a number of times and have even shouted at it!. No change..so I'll have to get a new one (done me good for the last 3 ish years)
2) I pitched 1 packet of S-04 in a SG of 1.046 (measurement from both an iSpindel & Hydrometer) on Sunday...its Thursday eve and its down to 1.010. Does this seem right? given David said 10 days + 3days ramp up???. I know the iSpindel is calibrated as I spent a whole afternoon with water, sugar & an hydrometer to et it set right

Thoughts?

At 1.010 it is finished. I would wait a couple more days just to be sure, then package it up or do what you like with it. No need to wait a full 14 days, it's done.

Blimy. A mention of S-04 and not a list of responses telling us how bad it is. Are people lightening up with their opinions of S-04? (I reckon it's okay BTW ... it doesn't hang about, and I'd be trying not to worry about the beer standing for 14 days provided it was under airlock and not messed about with much - an unsealed bucket, well that's different, get it out of there!).

Latest posts

Back