Combining yeast strains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
Another one for the experts...
I'm starting to think about a recipe for a Belgian strong golden ale, and have read that it might be a good idea to use a combination of yeast strains to build up complexity.
Is there anything to be careful with here? I'm not sure how multiple yeasts would affect each other, and when to add etc.
Anyone got any experience?
I'm thinking to use a pack of Wyeast and then adding some cultured from a bottle of Achel/Westmalle.

It is very do-able to use dual strains, however as to advising which ones work best then I am stumped,

The best way to find out is experiment yourself and use what you find suits you best!

Nobody is the same after all.

UP

If you have read about it, try using their combination first, then experiment like UP says.

Adnams have a dual strain that they use in their beers . . . but it is unstable and after 3 or 4 repitchings they have to culture up a new batch or they just end up with the unflocculant stain

Thanks for the replies.
I have brewed a golden ale using Wyeast 3864 and am planning on harvesting some yeast from an Achel (I think this is Wyeast 3787), which I'll add at bottling. I'm not sure that will affect the flavour much though, maybe I should add it when I put it into the secondary FV?

I'm also wondering if adding more yeast can help get a lower FG? I know certain yeasts "finish lower" than others, is it possible to use a neutral yeast to lower the FG after the main fermentation is finished without affecting the taste too much?

Might as well ask another one while I'm at it; how come beers finish with different OGs, is the sugar that's left non-fermentable in some way? OR something to do with the yeast strain too? I know this is related to the mash temperature, but I've no idea about the science bit! :wha:

Latest posts

Back