Commercial saison?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saison Dupont is about the standard for me. You probably won't get them in supermarkets, its something of an emerging style in the UK. Duvel is quite close to a Saison in many ways and widely available, but it's a belgian strong golden and will taste different to a straight up saison.

If you want something really amazing I recommend Brew By Numbers 01/01 - spiced and dry hopped saison. really excellent.

Agreed any Dupont Saison or a St Feuillien Saison. Not sure what you can get hold of in UK shops. The Dupont is one of my favourite beers of any type ever.

Tesco have one in their 4 for £5 promotion - it's a Tesco only brew made by Marstons sold under the 'Revisionist' name...I'm drinking one as I type, tastes fine, I'm not familiar enough with the style to say whether it's a good saison or not but it does have the advantage of being cheap!

In my local they had the whole range http://www.revisionistbeers.co.uk/our-beers

Saison Dupont (6.5% ABV) A slightly cloudy yellow-colored ale with high carbonation, fruity and spicy aromas and tastes, and perceptible, somewhat quinine-like bitterness. Brewed in the Saison style from Pilsner malt and Kent Goldings and Styrian Goldings hops. Originally titled "Saison Vielle Provision", the beer was also dry-hopped until the brewery stopped this practice in favor of a larger late hop addition in the boil. Unfiltered and bottle-conditioned, Saison Dupont is packaged in green glass bottles of a thickness appropriate to withstand the substantial carbonation. The bottles are finished with a champagne-style cork and wire cage.

Try the Lallemand dry Saison yeast with the kit, would be an easy way of getting a Saison effect. Dupont is the style bench mark, their "Avec les Bon Voux" is one of my all time favorites. Can't reccomend the Dupont yeast though, a tricky beast. T

Ive used the T-58 yeast for this experiment.

For my next i was going to use the danstar belle saison yeast for the second. Hops seem to be a careful choice. I was going to use saaz for one and syrian goldings for another, but i may rethink this after reading up again.

Both are good hops for a Saison, it's quite a flexible style even America "C" hops work well in a Saison.

Back