Connecting pub gas to pressure barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scousebil

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this has been posted before - I've read a few threads regarding connecting a pub gas cylinder to a pressure barrel but can't seem to find all the information i need or the parts required. So... i have two budget beer barrels with standard caps (no valves), a big pub gas bottle of co2 and a regulator. What's the best way to setup so i can add gas to each barrel from the cylinder starting from scratch? Which of the two s30 valves (piercing/non piercing) would be better (if any) and if i need a universal hose where on earth do i get one as they all seem to be out of stock?

Budget style plastic barrels are not capable of taking pressure from gas cylinders for force carbonation I'm afraid. I believe there is a way of connecting them up so you could use the co2 at low pressures to dispense but you would still need to prime the barrels with sugar first to condition and carbonate.

In terms of S30 valves those with piercing pin can be used with bulbs or HB cylinders just remove the rubber o ring and put the pin in upside down (no one seems to point this out) so those with a pin are more versatile.
As to the barrelling I don't know of anyone doing this often people invest in the corny keg systems although having had great results from pressure barrels I can't see what advantagesntages they offer apart from being shiny (not to be underestimated in its importance) and complicated (from what I have read on them).

It can be done. I am not sure of the fittings you need as I have never used the plastic barrels. If you want to force carbonate its going to be squeeky bum time as you need to keep the pressure really low, you will only know if its too high after something blows and you loose your barrel and your brew.

If you can chill the beer down to 5c then you can force carbonate a little, less presure is required at lower temperatures to get the gas in the beer. But I would advise extreme caution.

D

Thanks for the replies fellas! Although the budget barrels are less substantial than the more expensive brand name ones, i can't see why they would take less pressure as the taps and caps are more or less the same...? I don't want to have them permanently connected - i'm after giving them a couple of squirts of co2 really, to top up after i drink some - same as you do with the bulbs. That's interesting about the valves - are you saying the piercing pin valve will do both types of cylinder?

Absolutely... I looked into it and Hambleton Bard had a leaflet on pdf.

Basically the pin is a separate piece so if you take the o ring from the top of the inside of the valve with a pin you can either use the pin in pin up position (bulbs) or pin down (HB cylinders).

Back