Removing keg cap during carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tondy79

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having added priming sugar to my pressure barrel this afternoon and transferring my beer, I've noticed this evening that there is a leak from the s30 pin valve. The leak is coming from the "gas-in" valve/pin, not from around the rubber seal or from the pressure relief.

Possibly/probably foolishly, I seem to have at least temporarily sealed it by screwing on one of those 8g co2 pellets, and leaving it screwed in.

Now I'm wondering whether to leave it be, or remove the cap to investigate the little rubber valve on the underside... Any advice/experience here??

If it's a pressure barrel with a 2 inch cap, I would just use the vent cap myself then switch to the injection cap if required later on.

If the gas is coming out of the injection pin, then the rubber seal on the underside of the cap needs re-seating or replacing.

Last edited:
I had the same experience a while ago now. I used S30 cylinders so couldn't block the leak as you've done with a gas cartridge. Instead I used a redundant brass nut from another HB valve and soldered a piece of copper across one face to make a blanking plug with a disc of thin rubber sheet inside. Stopped the leak until the barrel was empty and I could fix the leaky valve. Sounds like your (temporary) fix is working so I'd leave until you've finished the barrel and then you can fix it properly athumb..

I had the same experience a while ago now. I used S30 cylinders so couldn't block the leak as you've done with a gas cartridge. Instead I used a redundant brass nut from another HB valve and soldered a piece of copper across one face to make a blanking plug with a disc of thin rubber sheet inside. Stopped the leak until the barrel was empty and I could fix the leaky valve. Sounds like your (temporary) fix is working so I'd leave until you've finished the barrel and then you can fix it properly athumb..
Great, thanks Andrew and Buffers, and that blanking plug actually sounds like something handy to have ready for my non-pin caps. My soldering capability is lacking, but I'll give some thought to a viable alternative! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back