Conservatives agree pact with DUP to support May government

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.......... James Callaghan was approached by the DUP to save his minority government and rejected the offer out of principle. ............

Ah, those were the days; but it seemed that even back then the Tories were lacking in principles.

During the "Profumo Affair" trial a young Mandy Rice Davis brought the whole country to its knees with laughter when the defence counsel, pointed out that Lord Astor denied an affair or having even met her, she replied with a giggle ...

"Well he would, wouldn’t he?"​

This is the acid test for any denial made by any politician.

Here's a great example of a politician denying his wrongdoing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/1995/apr/11/uk1

WOW! That's clear enough eh? Who could be more innocent? Now read about when it all unravelled and he got sentenced for perjury!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/1999/jun/09/uk.matthewengel

Nearly fifty-five years after "The Profumo Affair" I have yet to hear a Minister say "It was my fault and I accept all responsibility for the failure of my Department." ... :doh:

... but I live in hope! :thumb:

But there's no money tree apparently. This little agreement has cost more than the amount the Conservatives costed the Labour manifesto pledges.
DUP1.5bil.png

DUP1.5bil.png

PMQ's was quite interesting especially when she was asked how she had managed to find the magic money tree she told us didn't exist last week. :lol:

We all know the graph is cherry picked and university fees are the real biggie when it comes to expenditure ;-)

But, once more, the list was issued by the Conservative party. How expensive a pledge to fund university places is depends on the number of places you fund. There are a lot of university students pointlessly saddling themselves with debt. That has a bad impact on the economy as well.

But, once more, the list was issued by the Conservative party. How expensive a pledge to fund university places is depends on the number of places you fund. There are a lot of university students pointlessly saddling themselves with debt. That has a bad impact on the economy as well.

Myself I would set up a body to grade degrees as to how useful they are to the country and how many jobs are available or are projected to be available for said degree.
If we are very low on graduates with certain degrees then make them fully funded, if the degree has a glut of graduates that are unlikely to ever have a use for the degree then make it fully funded my the student.
There could be various levels of funding with the grading system so some would be part funded at various levels.
I would make all NHS related degrees fully funded but with the proviso that a certain number of years must be given working for the NHS, otherwise the free funding will be withdrawn.

But there's no money tree apparently. This little agreement has cost more than the amount the Conservatives costed the Labour manifesto pledges.
DUP1.5bil.png

So where's the £6.3bn they pledged to spend on schools? The extra £5bn they wanted to spend on healthcare? Even Labour costed their manifesto pledges at £48.6bn.

Glad to hear it.

I didnt think it's take long. The thing about the conservative party is that it is made up of such disaparate elements that it always takes a strong leader to keep things together. T.May is no longer that strong leader (if she ever was). The back benchers smell blood and their circling

I can't see her lasting much longer but then think was next..............please please please not Boris Johnson.

This bribe to the DUP will be the death of Teresa May. All that money sent to NI and the DUP vote to continue the cap on emergency service and public sector pay in England. Bastards.

I can't see her lasting much longer but then think was next..............please please please not Boris Johnson.

Thats the thing. Who would come next? Govey? Bojo? We havent heard much really about leadership challenges yet, really. But I sure things are going on the background . Also they all know that the Brexit negotiations are a potential (and probable) career killer so they're not pushing themselves forward.

Latest posts

Back